Filling The Kiln With Tiles

Inversion temperature is when the first phase change of silica ( flint) occurs: alpha quartz changes to beta quartz. An extensive vibration of molecules at an accelerated rate, which can crack larger pieces if this phase change occurs too quickly. Matthew v started a thread called " inversion temperature". Do a forum search, you will find the info.

The largest flat work I have done is 24" x 24" x 3/4" thick. ( counter top slabs).

I work with porcelain almost exclusively. I do however blend in 15percent of molochite to kill plasticity.

I used straight alumina hydrate under them, so they would move during the firing. Yes, drag (friction) can also split them.

The other possible issue could be how you use your slab roller. You have to make smaller compressions as you, as well as roll in both direction instead of just one. On large pieces, I roll way past the width and length I need, and cut my piece out of the center. The ends and sides are the weakest, so I avoid cutting tiles on the edge of the slab.

I have pictures in my gallery, but I am on my wife,s I- pad, and have no idea how to use it to post pictures.

Nerd

That's great! i'll look into it!

porcelain is a different story but i will definitely try alumina hydrate under them, or bisque sand so they'ed be able to move during firing.

your work sounds impressive, i would really like to see it :)

Thanks again for all the tips mate!

The other possible issue could be how you use your slab roller. You have to make smaller compressions as you, as well as roll in both direction instead of just one. On large pieces, I roll way past the width and length I need, and cut my piece out of the center. The ends and sides are the weakest, so I avoid cutting tiles on the edge of the slab.

Nerd

Good point.  There have been numerous discussions here about rolling out slabs, especially those that are large.  Many, who work a lot with slabs will flip and rotate their clay slabs in between rolling.  In other words, they partially thin it with the roller, then rotate it 90 degrees, as well as turn the entire slab over.  This is done with each successive pass.  That way slab is receiving the same amount of pressure all around.

I don't work with large slabs, so I cannot say how well this prevents cracking/ breaking.  Just to be safe, I even do it with my smaller slabs, everything from several inches by several inches to slabs that are even smaller.

Dror:

This is the largest tile I make. It starts out as a 14 x 20 and ends as a 12 x 16 after I trim it.

12 X 16 arch2

Fred Sweet has offered me his life savings for it, but I refused to sell it to him because I recall him distinctly telling me at NCECA 2016 about his issues with "blue." But that is another story, and I will let Fred tell it..... :P

I did tell him however if he ever shaved his beard and made me some glaze brushes from it: I would swap him straight up.

Nerd

Archived