Hello From Oklahoma

Hi everyone.  My name is ShellS & this is my 1st post :)

I was born in Australia, & been living in the USA since 1998
I am not professional as I have had to self teach from books & trial & error, as unfortunately there are no Potters anywhere near my area.  I live way out in the boondocks on 20 acres with no neighbors but lots of wildlife for company.
I don't drive so rely on my husband to get around & the internet for most of my supplies.
Lately I have been feeling in a rut & wishing once again there were some other potters I could talk with for some advice/motivation; etc & just to chat with

Thank goodness for Satellite internet !!!
I have been reading & enjoying the CAC articles & the Forums, Even though seeing all the titles-: Professor, Dr, Teacher etc has made me feel inadequate/worried about commenting, I have finally decided to be brave & join the Forum so I could say...

" Hello & Thank you " to you all.  :)  You wouldn't believe just how much your posts have meant to me

Welcome to the forum. I am in very southmost Texas. I feel isolated from other potters too. I am excited to have I have a friend driving down from Austin (340 miles away) today to spend a few days firing with me. This is a good community to join for sharing. I hope it can fulfill that need to some pottery community. We are on all levels here and people are genuinely good natured and willing to help with problems or enjoy your accomplishments and cheer you on.

So welcome again.

Marcia

ShellS;

Welcome to the forum. Everyone feels isolated at some point. I live in a mid-size Canadian city, in the very middle of Canada. I work alone in my cadillac of a studio. The closest big city to us is Minneapolis which is 500miles south.

I gotta say that I have really enjoyed this forum. You will see that I am on it all the time.

I have made some great friends here.

So, Welcome.

TJR.

Welcome ShellS! My friends Marcia and Tom already said it all. We will be here for you, and hope you can teach us one or the other thing too. Don't be shy around us. I am living in Switzerland, ok, in a town, but there are not many potters around here. So this forum is family to me too.

Btw: Ceramic Arts Daily is also a great source

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/

with bookshops, DVD, downloadable DVD and, hey, check out Potters Council:

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/potters-council/

with lots of benefits.

Hope to see you around often.

Evelyne

Welcome ShellS! Pull up a stool and make yourself at home. We really are a friendly lot. Don't be intimidated by some of the suffixes you see behind members names. Just remember, they were once new to the world of pottery too. And if that doesn't help, just picture them in their underwear!! :lol:

I too, am somewhat isolated, living out here in the wilds of Eastern Washington state, with 26 chickens, three cats and one husband for company, so I never feel completely alone. Add in this place for pottery companionship, ideas, knowledge and inspiration, one could say I'm living in paradise!

You don't have to be nuts to join us, but it helps! :blink:

Hi, I'm Guinea! ^_^ I live in eastern Washington, like Amy. My podunk town is smack in the middle of a giant hay field, and I'm probably the only potter here. I surely know about that isolation, buddy. I go to the grocery store for human interaction! :D

I have six house bunnies, a cantankerous cat, and a very opinionated guinea piggie! I'm kind of guinea pig crazy, lol...and my specialty is illustrative pottery. :) I enjoy drawing and painting, too. Welcome to the forum!

Hello Shells!

I love when this forum welcome all with warmth and oneness...i remember when i joined was naive(still a naive) hesitant as you are ..but they welcomed with conviviality,that you forget you are alone.

I live far away in an Asian country,still attached to this forum with all caring attributions from every individual you come across.

Every topic shared is amazing with amazing inspired potters.

A warm,welcome!!

Vinks!

Hi ShellS, my name is Denice I live in Wichita, Kansas you might not live that far from me it depends on where you live in OK.  I think we all feel some what isolated, I know I do.  I am going through a rut stage right now, I'll get through it I've done it before I have been working with clay for 45 years.  First thing you need to do is just start playing with a ball of clay maybe make some small pinch pots and see what you come up with.   Denice

Welcome Shells!

I lurked for about a year before I made my first post. Now I don't shut up :)

When I first started posting, I hadn't made anything in about two years, and I was a bit of a mess about it. Scratch that. I was a head case. These guys here helped me come out of my shell, and helped me to remember that I have some skills and a lot of good ideas. Like Denise, I found just touching clay and "messing around" to be therapeutic in a way that I don't have words for.

Welcome Shells,

I hope you have many hrs of enjoyment on the forum. For video information try the Ceramic Arts Daily button on the green bar all the way to the left. Lots of things here to learn about, and lots of knowledgeable folks to help you out!

best

Pres

Welcome to the group. Many of us hid in the background before being brave enough to say "hello and thank you". Don't be afraid to ask anything as you'll find in a very short time that you'll be greeted with many helpful answers and advice.

Paul

Welcome ShellS ... I am new to clay, lurked for a few months before posting.  I also live in the country with wildlife but only about 30 minutes from a midsize town.  My husband and I both work from home so the forum is a lot of my social contact.  Everyone here is wonderful to help answer any questions you might have ... even ones they've answered a dozen times before!  

Hey ShellS, welcome aboard.

You mentioned self taught but not your level. You just getting started in clay or are you an old pro?

Its great that you decided to post. Now this place is more than an entertainment or research tool, we're your pottery friends. Even though we don't see each other face to face we are all just hanging out BSing about pottery much like any group of potters would and if you hit a snag you can get immediate help from some pretty heavy hitters.

Wish I could roll with a group like this in the real world :-)

Welcome ShellS

It also took me a long time to post my info, but I had been visiting the site and enjoying the discussions and also finding lots of answers to things I was curious about.

Not many potters in my area either.  Have fun and enjoy.

Ginny

Thank you all for the lovely warm welcome.  You made this old lady smile :)

I have been doing pottery for 10 years now so I would not say an old pro... probably just old  lol

I make what makes me smile & if others smile as well I usually end up giving it to them as a gift , afterall how much pottery can 1 house hold  (I over did the Vases, Coffee cups, Bowls etc stage :)

Went on to Halloween Cauldrons & Haunted houses etc    Even pond items for a friend

I guess I like to make unusual things, a sculpture I named Algiz ( rune of protection ) sort of Gargoyle typish but not  lol & the latest phase being some Old Wisemen trees. 

Recently I have been in a rut so did some useful no brain strain items,  some brownie pans, bread pans, dishes & even some dogbone shaped dogbowls. 

I just finshed some Birdfeeders & BirdHouses for the Porch as I have some birds which nest there each year so decided they might as well be comfortable :) 

Now from useful to frivillous I have decided to decorate a huge tree I have off my back porch.  I am in the process of making doors & windows, some with window boxes which I will fill with sunflower seeds & corn (squirrel feeders).

I guess I havn't found my niche yet :)

Thank you all for the lovely warm welcome.  You made this old lady smile :)

I have been doing pottery for 10 years now so I would not say an old pro... probably just old  lol

I make what makes me smile & if others smile as well I usually end up giving it to them as a gift , afterall how much pottery can 1 house hold  (I over did the Vases, Coffee cups, Bowls etc stage :)

Went on to Halloween Cauldrons & Haunted houses etc    Even pond items for a friend

I guess I like to make unusual things, a sculpture I named Algiz ( rune of protection ) sort of Gargoyle typish but not  lol & the latest phase being some Old Wisemen trees. 

Recently I have been in a rut so did some useful no brain strain items,  some brownie pans, bread pans, dishes & even some dogbone shaped dogbowls. 

I just finshed some Birdfeeders & BirdHouses for the Porch as I have some birds which nest there each year so decided they might as well be comfortable :) 

Now from useful to frivillous I have decided to decorate a huge tree I have off my back porch.  I am in the process of making doors & windows, some with window boxes which I will fill with sunflower seeds & corn (squirrel feeders).

I guess I havn't found my niche yet :)

Nice to meet you, ShellS! Feeling around for your niche has led you to some interesting places! I have questions!

What clay do you use for your ovenware? Do birds like ceramic houses? I love the idea of your tree project - the window boxes! - please post pics as you go.

Rae

Welcome!  I'm sort of an honorary Okie, as my father was born in Apache.  We lived in Lawton and then Chickasha for a while when I was a kid.

I'm surprised there aren't any potters where you are.  In my experience they're a bit like mushrooms.  They sprout everywhere but you have to look closely to find them/

Maybe that's the wrong analogy.

Hi SHellS, great to read your posts, everyone here is really generous with Knowledge,recipes etc. If you can handle people going off topic, or being absolutely obsessed about a little detail, then you'll prob stay.

Sounds like you're finding your niche just fine.

A bit of a recluse, understatement, I dribble off at he keyboard here, nothing is too simple to ask these people.

Old Lady makes us all laugh, feel she is one strong lady there, could be scary in real life, but full of knowledge and always on the go with testing something in her kiln. she keeps us in line when we are loose in our descriptions.. :)

Babs

ShellS - A little late to the topic but WELCOME from the North Georgia mountains. I live in a small town, but am blessed to have a lot of potters and artists around. I have five Pugs whose idea of helping is playing in packing peanuts and attempting to eat clay bits. My husband isn't well so he doesn't give a lot of input except to unerringly ask me to make things I have no interest in making but I do some of them just to please him. I tell myself making anything is a good learning experience.

This is the best group of people you could meet anywhere. I've only been doing pottery for about 3 years but having this group behind me has given me what feels like 20 years of knowledge. Anytime I am feeling overwhelmed or unsure I log in and read every single post and then realize everyone has good days and bad. OH and don't let oldlady scare you she may be blunt and to the point but she is a sweetie and the most generous person you will ever meet. AND it's OK to call her OLDLADY and not be considered rude, I had that problem when I first met her. Lol

I love the idea of decorating your tree, are you building the windows out of wood or doing them in clay? I'm picturing tiny windows of all types hanging from the branchesand twirling in the wind, but it's probably something completely different.

If you haven't done so yet be sure to add some pictures of your pottery to your gallery we all love to see each other's ceramic vision!

T

Archived