My usual throwing soundtrack is modern progressive rock. I just LOVE the chord progressions and the layered harmonies so much. I was trained as a classical singer ten years ago and still dig a good warble. My favorite bands of that genre are Porcupine Tree (omg Steven Wilson is my total mancrush), R.P.W.L., Yes, Riverside, Opeth, Blackfield, and America. I also love Type O-Negative because that music really, REALLY influenced the person I am today (and hubba-hubba Peter Steele!).

Sometimes, though...I like a good black metal fix. Most of you guys would probably hate those bands, so I won't list any...except Emperor. Yep. Emperor. ♥ :D

Audiobooks are my fave for glazing, though! No idea why, hehe!

Have you ever played through an album of Dream Theater, or their early stuff with no vocals, Liquid Tension Experiment(LTE)? I highly recommend that if your into progressive rock with lots of chord progressions and layered harmonies. Can't beat LTE. I am highly into progressive metal/rock. I listen to a lot of it when I am driving at high volumes down the major highways. I used to have a fast car, it was not good for speed control. 90-100MPH all the time. Now I have a wife and kid. I stay in the slow lanes.

I find LTE improves my thought process when I used to program as well. You get highly focused because there is no lyrics and you get zoned into the task at hand very quickly. I should try listening to them while I throw. Number 2 on that link, Osmosis is almost meditative to me. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought music was mandatory in a studio. It is in mine. I have the ipod on random so I can go from Jazz, to blues, to alternative. I need my music.

Oh, and no AC at our home so I feel your pain. Mostly we get the lovely winds here in Dublin CA that cool us off in the late afternoon, but not always. I didn't think Switzerland ever had to endure too many days of hot weather?

She was in Italy when she wrote that.

T.

Grype: Thanks for the intro to LTE. Sounds a lot like Joe Satriani. Will be listening to this tomorrow while working at programming. I like music with a lot going on, like jazzfusion. My wife cannot figure out how I program all day listening to "a hummingbird dancing across guitar strings" as she calls this fusion stuff.

Grype: Thanks for the intro to LTE. Sounds a lot like Joe Satriani. Will be listening to this tomorrow while working at programming. I like music with a lot going on, like jazzfusion. My wife cannot figure out how I program all day listening to "a hummingbird dancing across guitar strings" as she calls this fusion stuff.

Mine either. Sometimes I work while my son is running around, tv blaring, dog chasing my son barking. Once I get into that zone it takes a lot to get out. Down the rabbit hole as they say.

Interestingly, if you have ADD or ADHD, you concentrate better with background noise or music of some kind. I could work without music, but why?

I go in music jags, and I hate a lot of repeats, so I'm a big fanof CKUA radio. You can all check it out on the web at www.ckua.com. The funding drive twice a year is a bit annoying, but it's public radio and it keeps the ads to a minimum.

Just signed up for that Apple music free trial, so grunge rock has been the order of the day, mixed in with Elle King's new album Exes and Oh's, and some July Talk. And Chris Issac. (Don't mock me!)

When I'm working and the background music is on, it's just that, background. I can't do without out it but I also couldn't say which songs I heard when it finished. As for audio books, I tried listening but my main focus is on the clay so i can't follow an audio book even though I love them at other times.

Paul

Interestingly, if you have ADD or ADHD, you concentrate better with background noise or music of some kind. I could work without music, but why?

I go in music jags, and I hate a lot of repeats, so I'm a big fanof CKUA radio. You can all check it out on the web at www.ckua.com. The funding drive twice a year is a bit annoying, but it's public radio and it keeps the ads to a minimum.

Just signed up for that Apple music free trial, so grunge rock has been the order of the day, mixed in with Elle King's new album Exes and Oh's, and some July Talk. And Chris Issac. (Don't mock me!)

Do you like Arcade Fire?

T.

If I just need to get an instantaneous start-up, for clay or cleaning, what makes me move on into the zone is Royal Jam - B.B. King and The Crusaders' live double album recorded at Albert Hall. After that (maybe twice), I put the iPod on shuffle to get both the surprise of what's next and the pleasure of seldom heard cuts from the 3000+ stockpile. Recent acquisitions: Leonard Cohen, Modern Problems; Louis Armstrong, Hot Seven; Jean Ritchie, Mountain Hearth & Home; Julian Bream, Concierto de Aranjuez.

Very eclectic for me, interspersed with periods of silence (silence for hours, or a day or more). Partial to whatever soothes the soul and calms the savage beast, which does not rule out loud and raucous, depending on the source. The music must be subservient to the process of working, while still touching me and reaching me in support of said process. My library is all over the place and I prefer to play whole albums, rather than a mix, while I am working. No headphone or little devices--I have a Crosley (turntable/CD/cassette/radio) in another room where the clay can't get to it. Today was Lindsey Stirling, the soundtrack to Super Fly (Curtis Mayfield), R.E.M.'s Great Beyond, and Maurice Andre: Trumpet Concertos.  I was making molds for "smalls" and got a lot done for a change (re: recent slump)!  

Yesterday, my husband and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary. But!.... we are a couple already for 35 years. Now isn't that something!

Ok, back to our QOTW topic. I made a self-test today: you all know that I work without music or audio book or news or whatever that's stealing my concentration. So today I tried to listen to different kinds of music while trimming marbled pieces. I was listening to soul, rock, hard rock, country, classic, classic guitar and to "ländler" (landler) music. Ha! You don't know landler? This is the music I was growing up to. My grandparents, living in a mountain village, and quite a few of my uncles played that music at home. Here is a sample of that kind of music. I am sure you are laughing your head off about those weird Swiss people:

Outcome of the self-test: I stay with no music in my studio! I couldn't concentrate at all....

Evelyne

I also love Type O-Negative because that music really, REALLY influenced the person I am today (and hubba-hubba Peter Steele!).

Sometimes, though...I like a good black metal fix. Most of you guys would probably hate those bands, so I won't list any...except Emperor. Yep. Emperor.

Ha! With you on Steele, RIP. Emperor, not bad! My husband is a total metal head (Darkthrone, Morbid Angel), while I like a bit of Opeth, Katatonia, and Edge of Sanity, myself.

Emperor..."not...bad?" Oh, my inner metalhead just went into a siezure. "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" is one of the greatest metal albums in black metal history! "In the Nightside Eclipse" is also amazing, but "Anthems..." I've been rocking that album since the day it was released and it STILL gives me chills! ^_^ It pretty much changed my life as a wee blossoming extreme metalhead guinea. Dimmu Borgir's "Enthroned Darkness Triumphant" and Iron Maiden's EVERYTHING aided in that as well. :) And Opeth, of course. Mikael Ã…kerfeldt and I have the same birthday!

@Grype: I LOVE Dream Theater! I can't believe I forgot to mention them, derp!!

Do you like Arcade Fire?

T.

Yes. Yes I do.

I've only recently started purchasing music again. We kept getting our cd binder stolen, and after having to replace a music collection a few times, we gave up in frustration. Having music backed up on a cloud=genius.

Congratulations Evelyne for the many years of marital bliss!!

I think we call landler music, Oom Pa Pa Music, very lilty to me, like a butterfly going from one flower to another with the high points being the flowers and low point is the in between.

dhpotter: that's exactly how it sounds, isn't it?! Oom pa pa. Great!! It's always in three quarter time, like a waltz. I actually like that music. Thank you for your kind "marital bliss" words!

I had to smile when I read your post about the air guitar. A no go with clay on your hands while throwing.... :lol: We played air guitar too, in the disco, approx. 40 years ago, to "The Who", "Rolling Stones", "Jimmy Hendrix", "Led Zeppelin"... awww, those were the days. Nowadays I won't get my arms high enough to do a decent air guitar slide...

Paul: thank you very much for the kind wishes. I love to imagine you dancing the Oom pa pa dance for hubby and me.  :)

Evelyne

background music is great.  today i was at a fair that features bluegrass music.  the bandstand was about 50 feet away.  i was unable to sit still, stand still, or concentrate on whatever those  people who kept interrupting the music to ask me about pots were saying.   thank heavens i do not have to go back tomorrow.

Hey,

I've listened to the books on tape, when the local library was clearing their shelves...I listen to Talk Radio mostly, 93.1 FM

from Montgomery.  I do like a medley of music such as: 

"Lost Due to Incompetence" by Skeewiff

"Silent Movies" by Madisen Ward and Mama Bear

Dreams"  by Brandi Carlile

Stay Awhile by She and Him

Older Ladies by Donnalou Stevens (for a laugh)

Fortunate Son by CCR

All the Things That I Have Done by The Killers

Hold on Tight to Your Dreams by ELO

Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield from the Exorcist movie

Shine by Collective Soul

Last Dance With Mary Jane by Tom Petty

Samba Pa Ti by Santana (best song to hum while entering burning buildings)  too busy to think about lyrics :)

Eye in the Sky by the Alan Parsons Project

Welcome to the New Age by Radioactive

Tusk by Fleetwood Mac

Save Me by Remy Zero  Superman's theme song from Smallville

Burning Bridges by the Mike Curb Congregation

Les Yeux Ouverts

If there is a song you can't get out of your head, listening to some of these will help.

See ya,

Alabama

Hey yourself, Alabama. Great list and even greater that there is another human being in this world who knowsTubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. When I was young(er) I was listening to the LP for hours on end. Very relaxing!

And, oh oh, Samba Pa Ti :) ... No need for lyrics!

CCR! ..... every song they wrote is so fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I had air conditioning was Sept. 1999. The last

time I had heat was Sept. 1999. But I've always had a radio whether

I had electricity or not. This winter I'll have space heaters,

radio, and TV. My pottery and I are better off in the summer.

Scraping ice out of the water bucket...well, the novelty wears off.

Oh, if you didn't know, even leather hard vessels freeze and crack.

Bone dry pottery does OK.

I can throw pots listening to favorite movies like,

Return to Me,

My Cousin Vinney, (occurred in Alabama)

Groundhog Day

The Ladykillers, (actually a comedy) and

Big Fish (filmed in Elmore County) I cross that bridge 4 times

a day and most of the buildings each day.

If I could add some more songs to listen to while throwing,

They'd be:

Container Park by the Chemical Brothers,

Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Brother IZ and

Extreme Ways by Moby

See ya

Alabama

Archived