Sorry people but it's way too hot for a serious question. It's in the 107 F here and humidity towards 90 percent.... :wacko: (And I like to remind you: no AC allowed here. Please have some pity....). 

So this weeks question is easy: are you listening to music, radio news, audio books or maybe to your neighbours quarreling while working in your studio?

I myself am listening (involuntarily) to the latter way to often IMO.... :rolleyes: If they aren't quarreling, I love the silence in my studio! So no music or whatsoever for me. Silence and concentration. How about you? 

Evelyne

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also listening, without wanting to, to the latter.  there is a house across the street that is rented out by the weekend or week.  this week there is a small boy who SCREAMS.  nobody else seems to hear him, maybe he should crank it up a notch. <_<

hearing him because i am outside doing some touch up glazing to things that have been accumulating and will be fired to cone 5 to set the glaze.   hope nothing breaks.

Being waaaaaaay out in the country, I do not have the city noise blues, but rather have Muddy Waters Blues! and anything else between Allman Brothers, Slash Live!, anything Jimi Hendrix, Tabla Beat music, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and most anything else EXCEPT whining and crying Country.

Had my ghetto blaster tuned to CBC radio 2. Alternative rock and indie rock. Because i never changed the station, dust has attacked it and now i can't gey anything. [This was explained to me by a woman customer at my last studio sale]. it's amazing what some people know that i don't know!

My other radio is tuned to CBC1, but many times it is lots of talking.

I also have an IPAD with a docking station, but I am tired of my play list.

I mainly listen to the Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Arcade Fire, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton,et al.

TJR.

I alternate between my own playlist on my phone which contains mostly oldies music, or my CD player/changer which has 25 CDs of New Age & Ambient music on shuffle, or Pandora tuned to New Age or Movie Soundtrack stations. I prefer quieter, softer music most of the time when working with clay.

Paul

I thought music was mandatory in a studio. It is in mine. I have the ipod on random so I can go from Jazz, to blues, to alternative. I need my music.

Oh, and no AC at our home so I feel your pain. Mostly we get the lovely winds here in Dublin CA that cool us off in the late afternoon, but not always. I didn't think Switzerland ever had to endure too many days of hot weather?

I usually just listen to my wheel hum. I find it relaxing.

Joseph, I'm not sure what personality type you are but the contrast between your post and mine started me wondering. If people are introverts or extroverts does that affect the kind of things (or nothing) they listen to. I'm pretty extroverted and I like to put on headphones with really loud thumpy complicated music when I'm throwing. I come off the wheel feeling exuberant, relaxed, and joyful.

If I'm glazing I'll put on a movie that I've seen before so I can listen to it. Sometimes I'll call a friend and chat on speakerphone or have someone over to have a glass of wine if I'm working in the evening.

weta in DC is classical music, no vocals.  except 1 night at 9.  and sunday at 6 there are kids.  and the ^&&^$ opera on saturday afternoon.  and a few fundraising days.  but otherwise, good music.  i am right at the farthest edge of their transmission and occasionally a local religious station booms out over my mozart.

books on disc from the library are great.  share Mea's favorites. probably the last person in the world to get a portable disc player with earphones. from a yard sale last week.  it doesn't work because the wire holding the battery in place has corroded.  i thought it only needed new batteries.  sigh.............. :(

I usually just listen to my wheel hum. I find it relaxing.

Joseph, I'm not sure what personality type you are but the contrast between your post and mine started me wondering. If people are introverts or extroverts does that affect the kind of things (or nothing) they listen to. I'm pretty extroverted and I like to put on headphones with really loud thumpy complicated music when I'm throwing. I come off the wheel feeling exuberant, relaxed, and joyful.

I wouldn't say I am really a type. I like to keep to myself, but I can function just fine around large amounts of people and I excel in office environments with competitive job fields. I would probably say I am a good mix of both. I love music don't get me wrong. I listen to every type of music except country. 

My Pandora has about 25-30 stations of which I play every day when I clean the house or make dinner. When I am mowing the grass and doing yard work I usually listen to Dream Theater. If not that then Chinese Traditional pandora station... If I want to get revved up, turn on some Daft Punk!

Interesting.

When I say "type" I just mean introverted vs. extroverted. Extroverted people are energized (mostly) by being around people and introverts recharge (mostly) by time spent alone.

I do find that I struggle to center when my son is in the studio because I'm always subconsciously alert when he's there. I save wheel throwing for when I work alone.

My usual throwing soundtrack is modern progressive rock. I just LOVE the chord progressions and the layered harmonies so much. I was trained as a classical singer ten years ago and still dig a good warble. My favorite bands of that genre are Porcupine Tree (omg Steven Wilson is my total mancrush), R.P.W.L., Yes, Riverside, Opeth, Blackfield, and America. I also love Type O-Negative because that music really, REALLY influenced the person I am today (and hubba-hubba Peter Steele!).

Sometimes, though...I like a good black metal fix. Most of you guys would probably hate those bands, so I won't list any...except Emperor. Yep. Emperor. ♥ :D

Audiobooks are my fave for glazing, though! No idea why, hehe!

Music...above all instrumental ,like bansuri( bamboo flute)Hariprasad Chaurasia.

The Aha moment, is for an individual to know what drives and consumes his/her  waking hours......Somedays tranquility is best!!

Vinks!

I also love Type O-Negative because that music really, REALLY influenced the person I am today (and hubba-hubba Peter Steele!).

Sometimes, though...I like a good black metal fix. Most of you guys would probably hate those bands, so I won't list any...except Emperor. Yep. Emperor.

Ha! With you on Steele, RIP. Emperor, not bad! My husband is a total metal head (Darkthrone, Morbid Angel), while I like a bit of Opeth, Katatonia, and Edge of Sanity, myself.

Archived