Akira Satake Kohiki Slip Work (From Going Price Of A Mug)

On 3/27/2020 at 6:58 PM, tinbucket said:

@JDP I would argue that Goldart is not that important. It is just a plastic, buff stoneware clay. It is similar to a high iron ball clay with slightly less plasticity and larger particle size than ball clay. So you could sub ball clay or half ball clay/half kaolin. What clays do you have available to you?

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/material/goldart_198.html

Thank you very much. I will look into available ball clays 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, not sure if the post is still active but I’m looking into learning how to make kohiki style plates and mugs but I am a bit confused. I read the slap should be flatten out with the slip on but if I’m throwing on the wheel could I apply the slip afterwards? Also   @bciskepottery    may I ask you, if possible at all, the recipe for the clear glaze you use? Also we don’t have goldart here in the U.K., what could I use? 

thank you so much in advance for your help 

regards,

Simon 

• 4 months later...

@dontcallmeshirley Hi and welcome to the forum! 

According to his profile, the last time Bruce checked in on the forum was back in May. He’s edited out the recipe that was at the start of the thread, unfortunately. I don’t know his reasons for that. 

You could try sending him a DM. He should get an email notification that he’s received a message here.

Edited to add: 

Out of curiosity, I did a google search for Kohiki slip, and came up with this recipe on Glazy. In the notes, someone references this thread as a source. 

50 EPK

30 Gold Art

10 Custer Feldspar

10 Silica

It’s been a couple of years since this thread was started, but I recall the starting post having a lot more detail than just the recipe. What those details are have escaped my brain.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 6:22 PM, Callie Beller Diesel said:

@dontcallmeshirley Hi and welcome to the forum! 

According to his profile, the last time Bruce checked in on the forum was back in May. He’s edited out the recipe that was at the start of the thread, unfortunately. I don’t know his reasons for that. 

You could try sending him a DM. He should get an email notification that he’s received a message here.

Edited to add: 

Out of curiosity, I did a google search for Kohiki slip, and came up with this recipe on Glazy. In the notes, someone references this thread as a source. 

50 EPK

30 Gold Art

10 Custer Feldspar

10 Silica

It’s been a couple of years since this thread was started, but I recall the starting post having a lot more detail than just the recipe. What those details are have escaped my brain.

I dont know why the original post was deleted and hopefully not stepping on toes, but the wayback machine is your friend is such situations: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20210123084951/https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/12444-akira-satake-kohiki-slip-work-from-going-price-of-a-mug/

Archived