Zen Raku Kiln

lisargold

I bought a Zen Raku kiln from Mile Hi in CO (now out of business) many years ago. I am finally ready to set it up and use it for the first time and can't find the directions. Can anyone out there please tell me how to set up the soft bricks? Not sure if there is anything else I need to know or not.

post-69922-0-56475600-1438694569_thumb.gif

post-69922-0-56475600-1438694569_thumb.gif

It looks like the first course is solid 2.5 brick w x 2.5 bricks deep. Then one course of a wall with a 1/2 brick burner port . Next a complete wall that goes over the burner port and supports the kiln. I would use something more between the first course and the concrete. maybe some short cinderblocks. Dampness from the ground isn't good.

Don't put the burner into the burner port. Keep it no more than flush with the outside edge of the brick maybe even further away. Judge it by the flame.

Marcia

As comments are drying up ...

Video of Zen raku kiln in operation, in case it seheds and further light on things.

Some info on a possible brick placement for another raku kiln, the use of the post as a target brick might be significant.

http://www.axner.com/axner-model-heat-wave-raku-kiln.aspx

http://www.axner.com/ProductImages/kilns/axner-heatwave-raku-firebox.gif

Peter

Welcome to this forum, lisargold!

I never heard of a Zen Raku Kiln. What is the difference to a common Raku Kiln?

Evelyne

It is a commercial product. Just a name brand. Brackers also sell raku kilns. There are several on the American market.I guess I would have to ask , 'what is a "common" raku kiln'?

I have always designed and built my own...since 1967.

Marcia

Archived