#1 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:42 AM

I'm sitting in front of my brand new kiln enjoying watching the temperature rise and listening to the controller clicking during its inaugural firing. Its an Olympic Medallion Artist Series 18x18 inch unit with a Bartlett V6-CF controller and is nestled in my garage where the electrician installed a 220 line last week. I ordered it from Clay-King and it was delivered in 3 days.

I was very dependent on the local community college's studio with unlimited time, free clay, use of wheels and especially firing but due to damage and theft of some of my work by the students I decided to purchase my own kiln. I've had my own wheel for about a year and a half and have been shuttling my work to the school but that was always a pain so now I feel like a complete independent potter with all of my own equipment and on my own schedule. This is very exciting and I can't wait to put in a real bisque load tomorrow or the next day.

When the semester starts in September I will continue to use the college's facilities because I enjoy working in the group setting with other seniors (and its free) and I help the students but I'll be more wary of where my work is, less trusting and not so dependent on them because I HAVE MY OWN KILN.

Paul

#2 Joseph F

Joseph F

no longer burnt out... yay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:23 AM

Congrats again. Lots of pots in ur future.

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:34 AM

Nice! Congrats. If it is hot in the garage turn a fan on your controller to keep it cool. It gets really hot in my kiln shed.
I was using a little fan after my relay overheated.
Marcia
Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#4 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:47 AM

Congrats!! It is a great day when you finally own the whole process.
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#5 Amy Eberhardt

Amy Eberhardt

Just muddling my way through

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Location30 miles west of Spokane, Washington

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:01 AM

Woohooo!!!! Congrats Paul! Now you have to make sure that your camera is up to the task of taking all of the pictures we expect you to post of your work! ;)

#6 Mark (Marko) Madrazo

Mark (Marko) Madrazo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationKingsville, Tx

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:19 AM

Congratulations Paul, on your new baby. I know s/he will help you enjoy making tons of pottery. Post some pics. ☺

#7 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Way to go!  Enjoy the journey.

best,

.................john

John Baymore
Adjunct Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

Former Guest Professor, Wuxi Institute of Arts and Science, Yixing, China

Former President and Past President; Potters Council

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

http://www.nhia.edu/...ty/john-baymore

#8 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

(your pots disappeared, my post disappeared.)

today is a baptism of fire. :D  enjoy today and each firing for many, many years.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#9 rayaldridge

rayaldridge

Once and future potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNW Florida and the North Country of New York

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

Congratulations.  I think you can look forward to making a big advance with your work, though there may be some growing pains.  Having input into the whole process is a really big deal.

#10 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:00 PM

Congratulations.  I'm still in the process of getting my kiln situation figured out.  I will be happy, when I have one at home.  Transporting greenware, is a bit of a hassle.  

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#11 NFallon

NFallon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationEdge of a New Hampshire Pond

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:42 PM

Adding to the list of people congratulating you on the purchase. Having your own kiln just adds to the exploration. Enjoy......Neil
Neil Fallon

www.rockpondpottery.bigcartel.com

www.etsy.com/shop/RockPondPottery

#12 Sallyd

Sallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLancashire,England

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:03 AM

It's a great feeling......independence!
I remember my test firing, dashing between the house and the garage every half hour to check temperatures, mistiming the start so I was up half the night waiting for it to switch off. It's taken a few months but I'm now feeling quite relaxed about the whole process.
I still go to the community studio. I enjoy the chat, the ideas bouncing around, the knowledgeable potters who are happy to let you pick their brains.............and the lovely glazes!
Many happy firings to you, Paul.

#13 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. The first firing went as expected. I spent most of the time sitting nearby in the shade hovering, reading and watching the temp go up then down. It was a nice learning experience getting to know my kiln. I loaded it this morning with greenware but I won't be able to do the bisque firing until tomorrow when I can be home all day.

Paul

#14 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

Hey congratulations!

Now all you need is a slab roller, wall extruder, 2nd trimming wheel, pug mill, mixer .... etc etc etc  

#15 Sallyd

Sallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:28 AM

Well, it seems like I spoke too soon. I've just received notification that my local studio is closing down. Falling member numbers have made it unsustainable, so we've been give a couple of months to finish work, etc then Southport Ceramics Studio is no more.

What now? I already talk to myself!

Fortunately for me this site has lots of ideas and helpful folk who are happy to advise.
Thank you all.
Sally

#16 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Well, it seems like I spoke too soon. I've just received notification that my local studio is closing down. Falling member numbers have made it unsustainable, so we've been give a couple of months to finish work, etc then Southport Ceramics Studio is no more.

What now? I already talk to myself!

Fortunately for me this site has lots of ideas and helpful folk who are happy to advise.
Thank you all.
Sally

**Dis-like**  

:(   

If you campaigned/advertised for more members is there a chance it could stay open?  Move to another location.  Facilities like this seem to be rare in the UK.  Such a shame when they close.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#17 Sallyd

Sallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

You're right, Chilly, closures are happening far too often. The studio was actually set up 3 years ago by tutors from the local college who were made redundant when the ceramics course was scrapped.

It has had quite a high profile in the town but new members still haven't come in. It isn't for lack of trying. The latest news is that they are moving to a smaller place in the city 30 miles from me, and concentrating on artists and graduates. It isn't clear yet what is happening but they have promised to keep current members informed. I'm not a graduate.....or an artist for that matter, so I probably won't be moving with them.

Sorry for hijacking your post, Paul. I just wanted to reply to Chilly's comment.
Good to hear your new kiln is working its magic.
Sally

#18 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:36 PM

lost another post.  gotta hit that black box that says POST.

sally, if the whole thing is moving, maybe you could get some of the studio's equipment or extra glazes or something they don't want to bother to take 30 miles.  could be a silver lining in this gloomy cloud.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#19 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:05 PM

Sally, I'm sorry about your studio closing. Its funny you mentioned it but for the last few weeks I've been working by myself at home and find that I'm very good company and have very interesting conversations with myself. I do miss the college studio though and I'm looking forward to it opening in September so I'll have it both ways.

Paul

#20 Sallyd

Sallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

That thought had crossed my mind, oldlady, especially as they're moving to a smaller place.

Plus........I could put the money saved on fees towards a small wheel. Yes, I am looking at the positives.

Sally

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users