Underglaze Question

I'm taking opportunity of this post to ask a question.

Making the piece => one fire

Underglazing => second fire

Transparent glazing : third fire

Oups, my electricity budget is suffering.

So could it we possible to save one firing by underglazing before biiscuit? Which means: making the piece, underglazing then first fire.

Your thought :-)

I apply underglaze to both greenware and bisque. When putting on bisque, the key is to allow it time to dry before glazing. Two firings.

I did the three-fire approach for one set of items -- very involved artwork done by my painting teacher on bisque that I was fearful of smudging. However, after one three-fire round, I became comfortable with just glazing over her work and doing only a second firing.

So could it we possible to save one firing by underglazing before biiscuit? Which means: making the piece, underglazing then first fire.

You may apply the underglaze on greenware and then bisque fire. You can then apply more underglaze to touch it up if needed before glazing and the second firing. Or you can apply the underglaze to the bisque ware and glaze it, but in either case let the underglaze dry completely before glazing.

Paul

• 2 years later...

Hi all, just a few years late in seeing/replying .. recently I've been reading a lot about liquid quartz sealer, which is distributed via Australia (especially convenient for Lilly from etched)! It's essentially used to seal any pottery to make it safe to eat off of and make it impermeabile to liquids .. SUPER COOL stuff  :)

2 hours ago, Stardust Pottery said:

Hi all, just a few years late in seeing/replying .. recently I've been reading a lot about liquid quartz sealer, which is distributed via Australia (especially convenient for Lilly from etched)! It's essentially used to seal any pottery to make it safe to eat off of and make it impermeabile to liquids .. SUPER COOL stuff  :)

It does look good for work that doesn't contain anything that could be harmful,  but not for over underglazes. 

From their FAQ page "No, Liquid Quartz cannot make your underfired or toxic glazes food safe."

https://madeofaustralia.com/data/documents/Liquid-Quartz-General-Information-Sheet-V042016.pdf

https://madeofaustralia.com/faq/

Welcome to the forum and thanks for letting us know about it :)

My 2 cents: I've noticed duncan underglazes make their own shiny finish at mid-fire temps. At cone 5-6 all my duncan colors will come out with at least a satin finish, some almost glossy, with no clear glaze at all. However at those temps they start to flow and in some cases the clay will start to show through where raised. Good or bad depending. This effect looks beautiful over dark clays, and the individual colors begin to have some real character and behave like regular pottery glazes. ( Try a single layer of  duncan "bright purple" over buff clay at ^5, you won't regret it).  

On 8/28/2015 at 2:37 AM, seancisse said:

I used mayco stroke n' coat underglazes on raw clay tiles with good results, nice bright colors, velvet surface. However they are still waiting to be clear glazed so that's all I can comment for now. Good luck. 

Archived