Crackle Effect

kenk

I'm interested to use some use sodium silicate to create the crackle effect on my pot. I understand that you apply the sodium silicate to the bowl , then continue shaping it by pulling out the wall from the inside. My question is , do you need to add slip to the pot before adding the sodium silicate . Or is that optional?

Any other suggestions or guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ken

I apply the sodium silicate directly to the clay after throwing. I let it dry in the sun for at least two hours before stretching it. I have also mixed the sodium silicate in colored slip and applied that to the cylinder to get a more contrasting effect so it's up to you how you would like to proceed. There have been a few previous discussions on these forums about how to dry the outside of the vessel and you can search the forums for that info. Some use a blow torch or hair dryer but I prefer just leaving it outside while I throw some others. Good luck.

Paul

You can apply a slip before the sodium silicate as Randy Brodnax demonstrates on a CAD video. This gives a good contrasting color. I apply sodium silicate and dry it with a blow torch or heat gun. I have air dried it indoors. Where I live has a constant sea breeze and would dry unevenly if I put it outdoors.

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

Archived