Sign in to follow this  
hershey8

Think About Making Exhaust Hood For Basment Kiln.

I have yet to get with the new millennium, using an old skutt 8-18 with no vent and no controller. Worse still, I sometimes hang out in my shop (okay, basement) without a respirator, while the kiln is FIRING. So, I'm wondering if a sheet metal hood,suspended over my kiln, and ducted outside (with help of a duct booster fan) would be beneficial. Seems like anything would be better than nothing. hmmmm?

John,

I've used a combination of Larry's pictures at http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/12049-40-envirovent-for-electric-kiln/along with the Skutt envirovent manual to make a downdraft vent for my basement dwelling Skutt kiln.  Very simple to put together from common ducting parts and an inline fan.  I'm still waiting on my electrical to be run but once that's done I'll report back my results and send pics.

I spent $111 (only $25 of which was the fan) because I wanted the sturdier ducting and exhaust vent rather than the tinfoil dryer hookup.  Mine is going a little farther to get down to where I didn't have to drill through the concrete foundation wall.  The total run is about 12ft from kiln bottom to exhaust vent.

My previous studio had an exhaust hood from a restaurant, suspended on cables screwed into the ceiling worked great. Was cheap. Had a squirel cage blower and metal flexible hose leading out a window.

The trick was remembering to turn it on.

TJR.

John,

I've used a combination of Larry's pictures at http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/12049-40-envirovent-for-electric-kiln/along with the Skutt envirovent manual to make a downdraft vent for my basement dwelling Skutt kiln.  Very simple to put together from common ducting parts and an inline fan.  I'm still waiting on my electrical to be run but once that's done I'll report back my results and send pics.

I spent $111 (only $25 of which was the fan) because I wanted the sturdier ducting and exhaust vent rather than the tinfoil dryer hookup.  Mine is going a little farther to get down to where I didn't have to drill through the concrete foundation wall.  The total run is about 12ft from kiln bottom to exhaust vent.

Very helpful stuff, Judy. A down vent may be the way to go. Thanks, ja

My previous studio had an exhaust hood from a restaurant, suspended on cables screwed into the ceiling worked great. Was cheap. Had a squirel cage blower and metal flexible hose leading out a window.

The trick was remembering to turn it on.

TJR.

At what point do you turn it on? Does it stay on the entire time or just at some stage?  ja