Woo Yellow Strontium Carbinate Substitute?

jrgpots

My supplier does not have strontium carb and I wanted to make a yellow matte cone 6 glaze. I'm sure the strontium is a substitute for barium. Is there another substitute I can use?

If anyone has a nice yellow matte glaze for cone 6 that does not use strontium or barium, i'd love to get your recipe.

Jed

recipe       Wettlaufer 18   from page 127, Getting Into Pots  

Soda spar (Kona)                  40

whiting                                   15

ball clay  (C&C)                      20

silica  325                              15

dolomite                               _10

add

bentonite                                 2

yellow stain                             ?

my yellow mason stains are numbers 6464, 6433 and 6405, naples yellow which is not good for food surfaces.  of course, if you are using a matte glaze,you do not put it inside things for food anyway.

i don't have the recipe notes yet, so i don't know which yellow i used.  this glaze is wonderful, it takes all kinds of stains and is satiny matte.  it will FLATTEN TEXTURE, so you will lose anything but random bumpiness it applied over texture.

recipe       Wettlaufer 18   from page 127, Getting Into Pots  

Soda spar (Kona)                  40

whiting                                   15

ball clay  (C&C)                      20

silica  325                              15

dolomite                               _10

add

bentonite                                 2

yellow stain                             ?

my yellow mason stains are numbers 6464, 6433 and 6405, naples yellow which is not good for food surfaces.  of course, if you are using a matte glaze,you do not put it inside things for food anyway.

i don't have the recipe notes yet, so i don't know which yellow i used.  this glaze is wonderful, it takes all kinds of stains and is satiny matte.  it will FLATTEN TEXTURE, so you will lose anything but random bumpiness it applied over texture.

Thanks for the recipe.  I will have to see what yellow mason stains I have.

Jed

http://capitalceramics.com/search?type=product&q=Strontium+Carbonate

This supplier in Salt Lake city. Do not know reputation, but have found your material there.

Best,

Pres

Capital ceramics has been around for about 45 years.  They just went through a reorganization and move.  I have ordered some Strontium this AM from them.  We will see how quick it gets here.

Jed

Thank you for the links to your suppiers.  I have used big ceramic store in the past with great success.   St George, Utah is a small town and the local supplier just changed ownership. So there are a few hickups in transition.  Raw materials were part of that hickup.... There are only a few of us who make our own glazes around here, so the raw materials were put on the back shelf during the transition.   .BUT they do have EPK... TJR.

SO from the responses, I get the feeling that there is no great substitution for Strontium.... I guess i will have to wait for the supply truck.

Jed

Archived