Sitting On My Hand(S)

Ok, I had an out patient medical procedure on my left hand on Thursday.  Have to keep it covered and be gentle on it.  so no making my usual pinch pot animals.  

This is driving me nuts!!  I am glazing what I can with  a paintbrush and whatever else I can do one handed.   Last time I make carved little stamps. 

Anybody have ideas about what I can do while healing?     Going kuku   - Rakuku

When they cut three bones out of my wrist I gave up clay for 4 months.I could not pick up a sheet of paper for over 1 month.

I read a lot and did paperwork after the pain killers stopped. I focused on rehab and did that 7 days a week.

Mark

If you have a hand that works do something that requires a lot of work in that one hand. For example maybe take up sumi-e or something. It is all with one hand. It is also nice and relaxing and fun. I do it for a break from pottery. 

Don't use your other hand until your rehab person says you can, I have been down that road and it just makes recovery longer.

When I first started my shots for MS they had flu like side effects, so you felt decent every other day.  I had the cd's of Ceramic Monthly's magazine 60-69 and 70-79, I spent a lot of my time with them and found a lot of forgotten tips and information.  I would be glad to mail you my copies if you don't have them I am on new medicine with fewer side effects now so I don't spend much time reading them anymore.   Denice

make beads??  roll out snakes?  all with the other hand, of course.

it is awful to be out of action.   isn't it amazing that we have so many good days that we resent those that are not the best?  at least you DID it.  visit your local library, find a section in the non-fiction and learn all about something you have wondered about.   play scrabble, go for long rides to unusual locations, draw cartoons with the good hand and laugh at them.  write poetry or at least hallmark card sentimental stuff.

I hope recovery and rehab go well.

I take things a bit more literally than others. So one word of advise on the literal side..."sitting on you hands" probably is not the best position for the hands during your recovery...... :)

Jed

Thanks for the kind thoughts.  I am lucky this is a minimally invasive procedure, which I have had  before, so the incisions are needle marks and should heal pretty quickly.  Anyone else have Dupuytren's disease?  It sucks. 

Dr. says I can start stretching the hand.  At the studio I put a latex glove on it with fingers cut out and keep it dry and just hold small things with it that I am glazing with a paint brush. Some one did raku yesterday and i put three small pieces in and that was fine - one handed tongs.  probably another week until i squish clay.   I feel lucky I don't have months of rehab ahead. (been there too). rakuku

I'd be curious about what sort of hand operations people have had.

I get trigger finger in my right hand when throwing often, and general tendon cramping.

I'm good for throwing 6 or so 6lb pieces before I'm done.

Centering is becoming a real challenge.

But I've worked a s a CAD drafter for 30 years as my day job.

I don't doubt I have carpel tunnel and/or everything else hand related damage at my age...

Rex this is what I had done in 2012

My scapoid bone was toast fron some injury 30 plus years ago I do not recall.

Now I'm three bones less in the right wrist than the rest of humanity.

http://proximalrowcarpectomy.com/

There also is a utube video of it if you have a strong stomach(google PRC for the link)-I have never watched it.

Mark

I'm so sorry! What happened to your hand, if you don't mind me asking?

Take your time and get well. I hope you're right-handed so you can still do most things ... draw designs and maybe catch up on office work? But don't push it. And whatever you do don't sit on your hands. ;)

Back in November I was washing dishes and I sliced my right-hand pinky open on a mug. I took one look and called my mom to take me to Urgent Care. I'm not a sissy but it was deep. Five stitches and NO CLAY and keep my hands out of water till it was fully closed up. This was the same day we were starting a 3 day construction project in the yard and I couldn't even lift a finger to help. It was like torture to sit there watching everyone.

I still have pain and twinges in that finger and when I first went back to wheel throwing it was like scraping the scar with broken glass. I actually think working with clay has kept it from forming stiffness, actually. I told my chiropractor that I must have nerve damage because weeks later it was still numb and he checked it and adjusted it, no more numbness. :)

giselle, are you sure there is no residual shard inside the finger?  i did that with a very thin glass in 1963.  the piece of glass finally worked its way out about 7 years later.  not in a place that got a lot of use, top of knuckle area so it caused nothing but an occasional twinge.

well its been a week and i am doing pretty well.  mostly glazing with a paint brush and running out of bisque ware.  I made a couple of little slugs yesterday with hand in a latex glove.  should be back in full action in a couple of weeks.   so grateful i didn't need a full surgery.

everyone out there with hand issues - I feel your pain.   One of these days I am going to get my hand therapist to do a workshop on how to take care of your hands if you are an artist.  rakuku

Rakukuku: so glad you're doing better! :)

Oldlady: I've wondered that myself. I would have assumed the doctor dug around and looked, though. I think the main reason for the pain is that part of the cut came around and cut through the crease where my pinky bends; there's a thick piece of scar tissue there and it pulls every time I bend my finger. I've been really exploring that spot to see if there's anything still in there. If so it's deep because I can't feel anything particular, and it's more if a general ache than a sudden sharp twinge, unless I whack it.

well its been a week and i am doing pretty well.  mostly glazing with a paint brush and running out of bisque ware.  I made a couple of little slugs yesterday with hand in a latex glove.  should be back in full action in a couple of weeks.   so grateful i didn't need a full surgery.

everyone out there with hand issues - I feel your pain.   One of these days I am going to get my hand therapist to do a workshop on how to take care of your hands if you are an artist.  rakuku

There was a great talk at NCECA this year on carpal tunnel syndrome and just taking care of your hands/arms to avoid numbness. He even had slides of dissection.Not creepy at all.

His brother is a potter. He is a medical doctor. Can't remember his name at the moment. We were waiting for John Baymores' talk.

TJR.

My affliction is called Dupuytrens Disease and it causes growth of scar tissue in your hands when there is no reason to scar. It can make your fingers curl up and they won't un-bend.  The procedure I have is designed to break up these scar cords so fingers can move better. It is not a cure but makes hands more usable.   Its often called the Viking Disease because it occurs in people of northern european ancestry.    Its hereditary.   Don't get it.     rakuku

My affliction is called Dupuytrens Disease and it causes growth of scar tissue in your hands when there is no reason to scar. It can make your fingers curl up and they won't un-bend.  The procedure I have is designed to break up these scar cords so fingers can move better. It is not a cure but makes hands more usable.   Its often called the Viking Disease because it occurs in people of northern european ancestry.    Its hereditary.   Don't get it.     rakuku

I feel your pain. I have scleroderma of the connective tissues and skin and my hands used to be terrible. They would curl up and cramp so bad I couldn't even hold a cup to drink out of. I am on some experimental injections that I do every night for this and it has really been helping. I hope your surgery works wonders for you and you can get back to work. It is hard to function without your hands, much less pot.

Thoughts go out to you. Keep us informed.

Archived