Making Extruder Dies

Bajamary

I have just gotten some pieces of 1/8th inch aluminum to make dies for my extruder.  Does anyone out there have any experience in cutting the aluminum.  I have a dremel tool, but it is abit old.  Any advise on the correct dremel and what types if bits or cutters what will do the job would be appreciated.  

I have made many many dies with 1/8th stock.

Draw the shape out on paper transfer to the die with a pencil or sharpie-drill a hole inside shape to be cut out. I use a jewelers saw. place die in vise-You take one end of the blade and disconnect from saw frame and put it thru your hole reconnect frame and saw the form. Disconnect saw blade to remove. Use jeweler files to smooth up the form. 

I have two dremel tools but would not use them as they are to aggressive .

Mark

Thanks Mark for the words of wisdom.  You are right,  I think the dremel is pretty aggressive.  Any thoughts on where I can buy a jewelers saw and files.  I'm hoping to make about 10-12 dies.  Is there a special blade for the saw?   Bajamary

Mary

I bought mine in the 70's in art school

Get your's here-most likley less quaility but should work fine.

The blades snap very easy so you need to learn to only push them in the up down not sideways when you cut.They snap in a second so have plenty of blades until you learn how to cut with them.

The saw is made for metal cutting in brass silver and aluminum and other non ferrous metals.

Its under $16 with blades

here

http://www.amazon.com/Jewelers-German-Adjustable-Assorted-Tension/dp/B00A8RFB5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437103290&sr=8-1&keywords=jewelers+saw

extra blades here

http://www.amazon.com/SE-815JSB-114-Piece-Jewelers-Piercing/dp/B002Q8886C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437103561&sr=8-1&keywords=jewelers+saw+blades

I have used jewelers saw blades in a jig saw. got the larger blade. Jewelers files work well for smoothing, but aluminum gums up the files quickly so a file brush is needed. I used a dremel with a fine grinding stone and slow speed to bevel, smooth the die cuts also. Bench pins do come in handy, and I used them when working the file by hand. I also used old credit cards with fine small work, and a support die of the aluminum cut larger and supporting the credit card die. Riveted the two together with pop rivets. Worked well, but will not hold up as long as full aluminum.

Well,  I ordered both the saw and more blades from the site you recommended Mark,  The blades came yesterday and the saw should be here today.  This brings another question,  These blades are sure little things,  I've never worked with this type of tool before,  The sizes on the package, ranging from 1/0 up to 2 do not mean anything to me.  Do I start with the biggest one "2"  I do not speak "gauge"  Is that what the number represents?    I may not have time to work on this for the next week as I have to be out of town,  but I saw on your site, that you will be at the Anacortes Art Festival the first part of August.  I live in Anacortes in the summer and look forward to stopping at your booth.  Not just to pick your brain on dies, saws and blades I promise...By then maybe I will have at least one die finished....  Thanks again for your help.  Bajamary

Pres,  Thanks so much for the website,  I just spent about an hour hopping around on U-tube learning all about the jewelers saw and blades,  it really helped.  I'm gone for a week and looking forward to getting started when I get back.    I still don't know what guage 1/8" aluminum is.  I think I will start with the biggest blade.  Bajamary

• 2 weeks later...

A jewlers saw works great and is made for multiple metals, but You can use most woodworking tools and files when cutting aluminum.

Cutting aluminum correctly doesnt seem to dull the blades any faster than wood, but I typically use an slightly dull old blade over a new one when cutting aluminum.

Lenox blades work well in a sawzall, a jig saw, or sabre saw. Carbide tipped blades for straight cuts on table saws. Tripple chip blades for table saws in daily proffesional use.

Paraffin wax, stearic acid, kerosene, diesel fuel or even WD-40 will keep the blades from gumming up with aluminum.

Different grades of aluminum gum less than others.

Some key things to keep in mind when using wood working tools on aluminum.

Aluminum is not as forgiving as wood. It is ok to cut with wood tools, but keep in mind If you twist and bind aluminum on a table saw it may break your fingers or become a deadly bullet!

Use clamps and things to keep the aluminum securly mounted when cutting.

Wear your safety glasses and or a face shield when cutting aluminum...aluminum chips are hot and sharp.

Use wax or some lubricant to keep the aluminum from sticking to the saw blade. (If you don't you piece may eventually gum up and bind the saw.)

Heat from cutting will cause the aluminum to expand, possibly binding the blade. Using a lubricant will help keep things cool.

Clamping two pieces of scrap wood over thin aluminum and then cutting all three pieces will keep the thin aluminum from distorting.

Archived