Any Flashers Out There?

Am working on some sushi plates/trays for a salt firing (cone 10) and plan to stack them with wadding between plates.  Would like to add some oxides to promote different flashing on the surfaces.  I know about adding copper . . . but does anyone else have suggestions for additions to the wadding that would give a nice colorful halo effect?  Am using Highwater's Phoenix and Standards Jack Troy Woodfire claybodies for the plates/trays. 

I don't have any definitive experience with that, but what do you think would happen if you soaked the shells in a copper sulfate solution? Copper sulfate is a soluble salt of copper, unlike the usual ceramic colorants of copper oxide and carbonate. You can get it at agricultural supply stores (a fungicide) and sometimes plumbing supply stores (for breaking down roots in sewer lines). It comes as a blue crystalline powder and dissolves in water. Soak the shells in this and then let them dry. If you can't find any at your usual haunts, I have a tub of it and you can have some.

dw

Look at Marcia Selsor's gallery here in the forum for her saggar fired pots. She has beautiful results flashing all kinds of oxides. She would be an ultimate resource.

The late Paul Soldner did a lot of "flashing" in his studio. Of course that was a different time.

Jed

Stacking and spacing, keeping flame path in mind are the keys to good flashing. Less salt is more, but you still have to get a little exposure. Pack loosely.

I didn't work with a lot of oxides for flash, but adding chunky sawdust to your wadding and using Helmer kaolin slips gets results. I'm not familiar with either of those clay bodies you mention or their composition. I used to favour a porcelaineous mix that had about 5% Red Art added, and that did fun things, with reds and oranges and the odd pinks.

And I think there should have been some sort of drinking game related to Paul Soldner showing up in various states of undress.

I don't have any definitive experience with that, but what do you think would happen if you soaked the shells in a copper sulfate solution? Copper sulfate is a soluble salt of copper, unlike the usual ceramic colorants of copper oxide and carbonate. You can get it at agricultural supply stores (a fungicide) and sometimes plumbing supply stores (for breaking down roots in sewer lines). It comes as a blue crystalline powder and dissolves in water. Soak the shells in this and then let them dry. If you can't find any at your usual haunts, I have a tub of it and you can have some.

dw

Treasure your tub, Mr White. It's not available for roots anymore (environmental hazard, I think) although I haven't checked the feed store. That's CA, others' results may vary.

Jed,

Can't say I am an ultimate source on flashing. I am doing low fire work. There are sources for flashing slips. Ruthanne Tudball uses them in her soda firing. I agree with Mark, Helmers slip /clay is known for flashing.

I think it is more common in the NW of US.

Maybe check out Ruthann's book on soda firing for some recipes.

Marcia

Jed,Can't say I am an ultimate source on flashing. I am doing low fire work. There are sources for flashing slips. Ruthanne Tudball uses them in her soda firing. I agree with Mark, Helmers slip /clay is known for flashing.I think it is more common in the NW of US.Maybe check out Ruthann's book on soda firing for some recipes.Marcia

Sorry for misrepresenting you.

Archived