Using Fresh Leaves For Making Molds

thank you, jolieo, i know that leaf and it would make a nice plate.  i believe it is called sea grapes. it grows all over beaches in the south.

what i want is smaller than the palm of your hand and smaller than that in graduated sizes.  i explained how to use leaves in some post or other, when i find it, i will let you know.  it is really simple, just put the leaf on the slab of clay, no separator needed, and roll it in as deep as the leaf is.  that is, when you are finished, the top surface of both clay and leaf are on the same plane.  a ruler laid on edge across the entire slab should sit equally all of its length.

let it dry a little so when you pull the leaf off there is no resistance from the clay.  some people might have enough leaves and just bisque the slab with the leaf still in it.  i single fire and re-use leaves so i remove them as soon as possible without tearing them.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry, i just re-read what i wrote and realized i did not clearly say that i do not want any of the sea grape leaves.  thank you, i have them growing in the yard in florida and have tried them.  they are not the kind i want but thank you for thinking of me.

you might want to use them to make individual plates.  they change colors as they age and are really beautiful.

.  they change colors as they age and are really beautiful.

The real trick is to get those beautiful color to stain the clay......I mean I wet out and collected a whole bunch of beautiful red, yellow, and brown leaves.  I pressed them into my clay and fired them.....They all came out the same color, a drab clay color.  So what is the point of getting fall colored leaves if they don't magically turn the clay nice colors?.....Maybe it's my firing schedule....lol

Jed

funny, i noticed that......................... :rolleyes:  

of course, i mean that being surrounded by beautiful things lifts your spirit and  makes everything better.  i have an artist's print of colorful seagrapes and the variety of colors on just one leaf is amazing.

Archived