Using Fresh Leaves For Making Molds

I have as many mullberry leaves as anyone might want. Has anyone ever used mesquite or mimosa leaves?

Jed.

Do you have silkworms? We had a neighbor who took armloads of mulberry leaves to the elementary school each year for silkworm science. ;)

The pioneers in the mid 1800s planted lots of mulberry trees in southern utah. They are now almost a southern utah state tree. They are everywhere. It ended up being too dry for the silkworms.

Jed

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ro,  if my cat tried to help that way, the paw prints would go all the way through the clay.  (she eats a lot.)

are hyacynth beans the same as the long runner beans my dad used to plant?   OH, a closer look shows flat purple bean pods.  aren't the leaves wonderful?   i would like those leaves.  they do not appear to be totally heart shaped, but they are the correct look i want.  will try to find some.  thank you, roy.  where is your finished product?

yes!!!   thank you!!! :D    delphinium is what i want.  i have hydrangeas.  i have sent a  pm so we can work out details.  i have received leaves through the mail before and they arrived as though they had been picked 5 minutes before i opened the envelope.  cut stem very short, wrap in a damp paper towel, insert all into a bubblewrap envelope or a ziploc inside an express mail box.  i will send postage and a picker's fee.

thank you!! 

wow!  wow!  wow!   would love as many as you can spare, 20 is a great number, i can cover a large surface with that many.  i use the mold after it is made for lots of things and will send you something from it.  a variety of sizes is helpful, none bigger than the image one on the left.   thank you!   

yes, ro, i am jumping up and down (except that the foot won't let me land more than once.)

yes, babs.  i like natural leaves and reuse that bisque piece in many ways.  i  do not like any of the fake rubber ones.  they are the opposite of what i want to do.

if i have a large, legal size paper size, bisque mold with leaves and dragonflies scattered all over it, i can choose to center a dragonfly with a leaf nearby and use it to make a small spoonrest, a dish, a tea bag holder, etc.  if i want a flowerpot, i use a pattern that is the shape of a rainbow and roll a slab over some other section of the same bisque piece.  that way, i have many different possibilities with the same leaf designs and dragonflies and no two are alike.

I also use leaves in my pottery work. Confederate rose is a favorite, wild grape leaves, Burr oak (from a tree my

husband grew from an acorn)and lots of others. I have mulberry, lots of Spanish mulberry, golden rain tree, etc., etc. Also, I have lots of hyacinth bean vine seeds, very easy to grow.

Would larkspur work for you?

I wanted to share that if you carry zip lock bags, with a just damp paper towel thrown into it, and place the leaves in

the bag to get them home safely, then close the bag- almost- and BLOW into the bag to blow it up like a balloon, then

quickly close the bag. The bag is now full of carbon dioxide, which is what plants need to live. This will allow you to keep fresh leaves for a long time. This also works very well for cuttings that you wish to propagate.

thank you for the info about preserving leaves.  it will be very helpful.  i do not know what larkspur looks like, will have to see it on a website.  i actually found the nursery that has Mahoe Hibiscus leaves and the owner said she would send me some.  HOORAY!   (their mahoe has grown so big that it is pushing their building walls out of line.)

rakukookoo, they arrived!  when i finally realized that it was not sunday but saturday, i just went to the mailbox and found the lovely delphinium leaves you sent. :wub:  you picked the exact ones i would have. :wub:   i breathed into the bag as janie advised and put them into the crisper in the refrigerator.  tomorrow is the day for making molds from these wonderful leaves.  thank you so much for your thoughtfulness.   will be in touch.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived