Qotw: Would You Show Us A Picture Of Your Working Space?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rae: Diesel's pics are still upside down for me... I hope somebody turns them right side up.

Yes, you are completely right. A portable wheel and trash bin kiln is all we need, except clay, glaze and few tools. Or, instead of tools, our own hands! There is still a Gypsy coming to our home 2x/year to sharpen knifes, scissors and lawnmower blades. So if we would go from town to town, from street to street, with our portable things, we would be gypsy potters. Not a bad life! I would do it in the summer time. NOT in winter though.

Marci: I know where you live, and I think it's one of the hottest regions in North America, isn't it?!

Btw: I didn't want to start a discussion whether we in Switzerland and Europe are the better carers of the environment than others! I think it is absolutely essential that we care for our world. But everybody can start at his home and in the neighbourhood. With small and everyday things. Where I live in Italy for example, all the other homeowners (our neighbours) have big swimming pools. They don't live in those houses mind. Those are only holiday homes for them. So the swimmingpools will get used only for, say, 4 weeks in a year all in all. I think this is a waste of water that brings tears to my eyes. Of course it is hot in summer in Italy, but my hubby and I didn't even discuss about the possibility of building a swimming pool. No way we would ever build a nonsensical thing like a water tank to cool our skin in. Think of all the people who have not even water to drink or cook. So, you see, also European people can be absurd in building luxuries. Ok, end of ranting.... (It's out of topic anyway...)

Evelyne

Evelyne: come to CA to Gypsy in the winter! And (ok, still off-topic) there's a commercial here that shows two people in side-by-side claw foot bathtubs outdoors. This might be a good euro solution. You could use the drainage for irrigation of your tomatoes and zucchini!

Many people in the Spanish countryside take dips in their cisterns tanks that they use to irrigate their gardens and vineyards. It is fairly common.

In south Texas the exhaust fans in my kiln shed go on at 120 F or 48.889 C. I open the doors and turn off the fan power because it comes on during the day just because it gets that hot in the shed.

Marcia

Many people in the Spanish countryside take dips in their cisterns tanks that they use to irrigate their gardens and vineyards. It is fairly common.In south Texas the exhaust fans in my kiln shed go on at 120 F or 48.889 C. I open the doors and turn off the fan power because it comes on during the day just because it gets that hot in the shed.Marcia

Whoo-eeee! You're a hardy potter! It got so hot here a few summers ago that I kept my feet in a dishpan of water while carving and glazing. Floating a few freezer-paks in it helps, too.

once or twice a year if it is really hot, i sit on the dock and put my feet into the potomac river.  cold water feels good and cools off the whole body.  then the getting back up is a sight. (nobody should have to see) :blink:  :wacko:

• 1 month later...

The windows are great :D

You can pretty much see it all in the picture. There is a wall behind me with 4 shelves on that houses most of the work, shame they are mostly empty :P Besides that there is storage under the middle workbench and the wheel is behind that. The room is not a square, the tables are that shape.

The windows are great :D

You can pretty much see it all in the picture. There is a wall behind me with 4 shelves on that houses most of the work, shame they are mostly empty :P Besides that there is storage under the middle workbench and the wheel is behind that. The room is not a square, the tables are that shape.

Whoops! I thought it was distortion from the panorama shot.

Your room feels very serene.

Archived