Qotw: Would You Show Us A Picture Of Your Working Space?

Marcia: it's in the 100 F during day and, night after night, in the 82 F here. I would gladly give my best ever pot for AC!

oldlady: if only I could jump onto the next flight!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wowie, what a nice bay window, in and out!

dhpottery: great story about the 20x12 and the 12x12! Thanks for sharing. You an ex-computer geek (like John)?

bigbeardx: hello and welcome to the forum! That's a nice idea: a selfie in your studio! And the studio seems big. We hope to see and read more from you here. What kind of pottery are you doing?

Lee: your sleeping in the spare room now to have more space for the clay passion is really a good example. Have fun with your sis and come back soon.

Marko: post your throwing "problem" in the forum! I am sure you will get help fast. Collapsing= wheel too fast? walls too thin? Pulling up too fast? Use too much water? I love love love your air con type :D 320. I on the contrary close the doors because otherwise the heat get's into the house. No wind here too AND: we are not used to it. But we wanted summer to finally come.... sigh

Evelyne

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, evelyne, nobody else bit so i will.  why can't you have AC in a house?

it is beastly to live without it in those temps.  i remember our whole family would ride to the park with all the windows open in the car and get home so sleepy that it did not matter how hot it was.  but that was when i was a kid.

sorry you are going through that kind of misery.

Love seeing pictures of everyone's work space. I was thinking of posting a pic of mine but its such a pig pen I am embarrassed by it. maybe it will inspire me to clean and organize.

Sorry for those of you who have to endure excessive heat.  Being too hot makes me crazy!  rakuku

Evelyne:

Still am a computer geek, programming in crazy healthcare industry for 30 years.

Like OldLady, I too am curious why houses cannot have AC????

93 degrees right now, but humidity is only 50% - that is real good for humidity.

I have been making in different places throughout the last 40 years...but 6 years ago I built a walk out studio...36 feet by 12 feet....when I built onto the house.  The studio walks out to the drive.  Easy to load items in and out.   It is long, but works for me.  I don't have recent pictures of the place, but last March I did take a picture of the winter sun shining into the door in the early morning.  Nothing staged. just my place.

post-63181-0-22970400-1436567484_thumb.jpg

post-63181-0-22970400-1436567484_thumb.jpg

marko, love your animals, is that an anteater next to the test kiln?  and the pig on the banding wheel is a really happy camper!  kiln gods or dragons all over the place.  you have everything you need but i bet you spent hundreds on all those bottled glazes!

put some of the animals in the gallery, they really look great. :)

Ha, I found you. I have a hard time navigating and I trying to find you so I could answer your question. Lot's of dragons I guess. The critter by the test kiln you mention is an unfinished whimsical armadillo sample for a client. She wanted a table set of whimsical Texas animals. She has the finished ones, so I am going to decorate and keep these. I put the coyote and the wild baby pig in my gallery. I'm going to decorate the other ones similar.

As for the glaze. Hey, education is expensive. Yeah, it's a lot of money, but I'll use em up and thin out the ones I want to keep. I do have some recipe glazes, but I need to do more testing sometime. It's in the bucket. Thanks for asking and liking them. I'll have to post some of my picture of the finish ones soon as I can find them. hehe.  :rolleyes:

Yes, oldlady,that is snow outside the door. At one time this past winter the snow was over the window. The Northeast had 3 or 4 snow "events"...translate - back breaking snow shoveling tournaments. I agree about the time of day...I need to work on that.

It's interesting seeing other shops one thing I noticed is a lot of you have a comfortable chair, I have always had wooden stools of varying heights. I have a old secretaries chair in my basement I might try it in my shop.  Denice

To my hearts content ,loved all work spaces everyone shared and found too interesting.

Mine,an attic converted into my small,simple studio.

Its my space added with few potted plants and my imagination.What more could ,i ask for!! I feel its not the space how big or small it is rather the passion involved to get back every day,every moment and keep creating.

post-18478-0-36891500-1436618306_thumb.jpg

Keep Smiling!!

Vinks.

post-18478-0-36891500-1436618306_thumb.jpg

marko, looked at your gallery and i see why someone wanted a collection of your animals.   you certainly have fun with them and i am still smiling, will keep smiling all day just thinking about them. :D  :)  :P  :D

navigating used to be hard for me but finally i saw "view new content" at the top in the green line.  it is now the first thing i hit.  everything is there until i read it so i do not miss anything.

vinks, INDIA, SINGAPORE??  we need more, much more.  your attic is lovely.

Guest JBaymore

Yes, oldlady,that is snow outside the door. At one time this past winter the snow was over the window. The Northeast had 3 or 4 snow "events"...translate - back breaking snow shoveling tournaments.

Us New Hampshire-ites are a tough lot!  ;)

best,

................john

then you know the old joke about the man who lived on the border between NH and Vermont.  someone came by to survey the border and told him he actually lived in Vermont.  the old man said "thank you, now i won't have to live through another one of those new hampshire winters".

Thanks "Old lady", for liking my attic. This is in India.
I keep shuttling between both countries, Singapore and India. In Singapore I share my space with other artists. The images shared consist of both places, the image of me working is a glimpse of space in Singapore. Will try to post more images.

Good Monday morning everybody

oldlady and dhpottery: AC's for private houses are forbidden here because they are among the greatest polluters in the world and kill the ozone layer. My country (Switzerland) wants to be best-in-class and so forbids the AC's completely. Only supermarkets and stores like butchers, florists etc. may use cooling devices. Europe now wants to pull even....

rakuku: did you muck out your pig pen in the meantime? :lol: We want to see your studio!

NFallon: I love the winterlight in your studio! Nice kickwheel. Thank you for sharing.

Vinks: welcome! I like the way you present the pictures of your studio as a collage, and I like the window in the back. It's like a labyrinth. Isn't it too hot in the attic in summer? What kind of ceramics are you working on? Would you show us some pictures of your works in your forum gallery please? We are a very curious bunch, you know....

oldlady: I love the NH-Vermont joke!

Tomorrow is Tuesday again - a new QOTW will be posted. Stay tuned!

Evelyne

Kinda liked the idea of the studio selfie. So here's me and my converted basement bedroom. There's a work table and more shelving on the wall on the right side, being blocked by my head.

Evelyne, the bears in your poster are Heidi and Howdy, and they were the mascots for the '88 Winter Olympics in Calgary. They would definitely fit in a Jeff Koons exhibit. :)

post-63667-0-20037300-1436921055_thumb.jpg

post-63667-0-65437200-1436921093_thumb.jpg

post-63667-0-00568400-1436921105_thumb.jpg

post-63667-0-20037300-1436921055_thumb.jpg

post-63667-0-65437200-1436921093_thumb.jpg

post-63667-0-00568400-1436921105_thumb.jpg

Marcia, I do enjoy throwing outdoors as long as it doesn't get too hot.

Evelyne, I am using an Artista wheel that Marcia is referring to in my backyard photo and its on my work table. It is portable so I can move it easily.

Paul

Evelyne,

It was too hot to work outside. I just left the little Arista where it stays and made my earthenware pots for my workshop segment on low fire soda firing..

I got a pedal for this wheel a few years ago, but I didn't mind the manual speed control.

I got a few pieces made for that demo anyway.

Also need pots for other demos too.Now back to raku slabs!horses and birds plus some crackle pots which I love to make.

Paul,

the Arista is a very handy tool. I am glad I didn't have to switch my main wheel from porcelain to earthenware for just a few pots. I have mine on a wheeled cart. So it can go outside when it is cooler..like in the winter!

Marcia

post-1954-0-17257700-1436991823_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-09039800-1436991840_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-76109800-1436991856_thumb.jpg

Diesel: ouch, my neck is hurting... could we have those pictures right side up please? :D I'd love to see your studio (and selfie). Thanks!

Paul and Marcia: thank you for the infos about Arista. A portable throwing wheel. Great idea. I searched the net but we can't order an Arista here. I am sure in a few years time I am coming to live in the States! Much more possibilities for potters and many of my friends living there!

Marci: what do you mean in saying " switch my main wheel from porcelain to earthenware for just a few pots"? You mean not to have to clean it? ;)

Beautiful pots by the way!

Evelyne

Evelyne, Diesel's photos show right-side-up when I tap them.

With an Arista, a Trash Can Kiln, and a van, one could be an itinerant potter! Demonstrate and sell your work from town to town! See America (or anywhere)!

I completely approve of Europe's sensible rules about AC (and even refrigeration, it's hard to find a cold beer in Europe but Heinekin (sp?) tastes fine without it). While I appreciate AC (I've spent some summers in St Louis where everyone runs from their AC homes to their AC cars to their AC offices and my grandchildren rarely play outdoors) I think it has contributed to our asthma problems (clean your filters!), obesity problems (fat layer stays on because always cool, no outdoor exposure, stay indoors and blub) and, of course, The Ozone Layer!! Not sure if my gas kilns and Raku pollute less than my AC (if I had it) would. If America didn't have AC, might it feel more urgent about regulating emissions that are harmful to the general climate? I Wish!

Archived