Qotw: Would You Show Us A Picture Of Your Working Space?

Boy, how fast the weeks fly by.... I just wrote the trash bin kiln question of the week and - zip - it's another Tuesday and here we go again....

Some of us work in their own studios (my dream!), some work in the garage or in the basement. I know a famous French ceramist who works at her kitchen table... My this weeks question is: where are YOU working and would you post a picture of your working space? If possible with a current piece you're working on in the picture too.

I myself work in the basement of our house. I occupy half of the laundry room and half of the wine cellar :lol: (no kidding!). My kiln is in the corridor of the basement. In the picture below you see the laundry room part (with a tripod under progress).

Now I'am curious how YOUR potter's workplace looks like!

Have a happy week (we just had a 2 weeks heatwave - sigh - with temps in the 104 F during day and 90F during night)...

Evelyne

post-6433-0-81096300-1436292689_thumb.jpg

post-6433-0-81096300-1436292689_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
post-2431-0-19910100-1377539128_thumb.jpg

well, in trying again, i messed up a different way.  sigh...................

post-2431-0-94865200-1434566110_thumb.jpg

going to try.  not the one i wanted to post, will try again.  tried everything i learned.  the picture won't post because it "is being edited in another program"  according to the cad info.  i only made it smaller in 'paint'.

dhpotter helped me out so much that the real picture is now on page 2.   THANK YOU  THANK YOU THANK YOU !

post-2431-0-19910100-1377539128_thumb.jpg

post-2431-0-94865200-1434566110_thumb.jpg

thanks, denice, the windows were to be used on a house i planned to build but did not get to.  there were 11 of them.  used 8 here and 3 in the former garage next door.  still turn on the lights hanging on the shelf above the wheel.  the picture i tried to post is from the exterior.

glad to get the source of evelyne's poster. thanks, callie.

chris, LOVE the color of the room!  it is on the second floor so you play in the trees, right?

thanks, denice, the windows were to be used on a house i planned to build but did not get to.  there were 11 of them.  used 8 here and 3 in the former garage next door.  still turn on the lights hanging on the shelf above the wheel.  the picture i tried to post is from the exterior.

glad to get the source of evelyne's poster. thanks, callie.

chris, LOVE the color of the room!  it is on the second floor so you play in the trees, right?

Yes, I was in the basement of my previous house so gladly took over one of the upstairs bedrooms and installed a sink. If I ever need to sell, I guess we could call it a wet bar??

Can I tell you how tired I am of the Pepto Bismol pink??? But too lazy to tear apart the studio to paint it.

NO!  NO!  chris, that is the wrong name for that Canada Mint color!  1957 ford thunderbird color!  prom gown color!  wide skirt dresses for the chours in the operetta in high school color!  B E A U T I F U L   G I R L Y    P I N K !!!

one wall in my studio is coral.  looking out the windows through pale blue.

NO!  NO!  chris, that is the wrong name for that Canada Mint color!  1957 ford thunderbird color!  prom gown color!  wide skirt dresses for the chours in the operetta in high school!  B E A U T I F U L   G I R L Y    P I N K !!!

one wall in my studio is coral.  looking out the windows through pale blue.

OH!!!! Were you at MY PROM!!

My gown was indeed pink .... ugh! I had totally forgotten that fashion faux pas!

Wow, you all have so much space, so much light, a pug mill, air condition (!!!!!), colorful walls...... What great looking studios! Congrats and thank you for sharing. I hope that there will be still more forum users showing us their working space.

John: too bad you are our of pics! I would have loved to see your work space.

Marko: what's wrong with the vessel/pot? I think it is very nice. No wobbling. Why don't you like it?

Marcia: you will have problems to find a retiring home with so much space for a potter. You rather stay in your home!

Diesel: is that the name of those 2 cuties? I bought the poster a few years ago at the Jeff Koons exhibition in our Beyeler Museum near Basel. It is such a good start to a clay-day looking at those two bears.

Yesterday I drove to my Italian home. Heatwave also here. And, as in Switzerland, aircondition is forbidden in Europe in private homes. So we just have to suffer....

Sweaty hugs to you all!

Evelyne

A detached outbuilding the previous owners of the property used as living quarters while the house was being built. It was 20 x 12. It was already plumbed for water and wired for both 120 and 240. Luckily, because this was their house for 1 year, the building has it's own breaker box. I gutted it, made it my computer office with a mainframe and 3 pc's. Then gutted it again, added 12 x 12 to the end of the building and made it a pottery studio. I still had to run 2 large wires for the kilns.

post-13363-0-12197500-1436449543_thumb.jpgpost-13363-0-99765700-1436449555_thumb.jpgpost-13363-0-44820600-1436449705_thumb.jpg

Guest JBaymore

........computer office with a mainframe and 3 pc's.

Mainframe!!!! ??????

OK... do tell.

best,

..................john

John:

I knew the word mainframe would catch someone's attention. Actually it was 2 mini computers, IBM AS/400's. I had one for development and the other I had leased out to a customer till they went belly-up. Now, everything is in the cloud. Only need 1 pc and connection to the internet. Kind of scary to think how fragile the internet can be with all of the hackers.

marko, love your animals, is that an anteater next to the test kiln?  and the pig on the banding wheel is a really happy camper!  kiln gods or dragons all over the place.  you have everything you need but i bet you spent hundreds on all those bottled glazes!

put some of the animals in the gallery, they really look great. :)

My studio is 12' x 14' and was the "big" bedroom less than 6 months ago (good thing I live alone-I am now sleeping on a twin size bed in the 8 x 10 "spare" room LOL). No work in progress in the pics. I had to shut down for a bit due to the surgeries/recovery but will be back in action after a vacation with my sister (NYC baby, here we come!). As you can see, just about every square inch is packed and serving a purpose, including doing double-duty for my painting & supplies. The kiln and glazing/loading/unloading/planning table are on my back porch.  

post-63409-0-18248600-1436484746_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-09969600-1436484755_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-48089800-1436484762_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-18248600-1436484746_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-09969600-1436484755_thumb.jpg

post-63409-0-48089800-1436484762_thumb.jpg

Wow, you all have so much space, so much light, a pug mill, air condition (!!!!!), colorful walls...... What great looking studios! Congrats and thank you for sharing. I hope that there will be still more forum users showing us their working space.

John: too bad you are our of pics! I would have loved to see your work space.

Marko: what's wrong with the vessel/pot? I think it is very nice. No wobbling. Why don't you like it?

Marcia: you will have problems to find a retiring home with so much space for a potter. You rather stay in your home!

Diesel: is that the name of those 2 cuties? I bought the poster a few years ago at the Jeff Koons exhibition in our Beyeler Museum near Basel. It is such a good start to a clay-day looking at those two bears.

Yesterday I drove to my Italian home. Heatwave also here. And, as in Switzerland, aircondition is forbidden in Europe in private homes. So we just have to suffer....

Sweaty hugs to you all!

Evelyne

I am practicing on bowls. I don't know what I am doing wrong. could use some advice. But I seen to center well enough, and the clay is about medium soft, no grog Bee Mix5. But when I get to this point I sometimes have this one spot that is like a weight on a fan that throws the hole thing off. So I try and fix it and I just make it worst. This one collapsed. I think I just need to make more. I don't know. I must be doing something wrong. 

Sorry about the heat and not having air con. I have a 320 air conditioner; that's open 3 doors and hope for a 20 mph wind. LOL. I'm sort of use to it. But air would be nice. 

Archived