Cerdec Degussa Intense Red Acting As A Flux

A wash of "Intensive Red Cerdec Stain" was applied to bisqued B-Mix Cone 10 Clay (bisque fired @ cone 06) then dipped in Laguna Flambe Blue glaze and fired to Cone 10.  The stain and Flambe combination produced a dark blue glaze that crawled off about 75% of the bowl's surface and ran more than any glaze I have ever seen, causing two "splashes" of glaze on the shelf that dripped off of the bowl without running down to the foot.

I have fired this Flambe glaze both alone and in combination with several other glazes without ever having it run excessively; applied by itself it runs very little.  I have no experience with the Cerdec-Degussa stain.

Has anyone run into a similar problem/phenomenon with this stain?  It is an encapsulated stain and is not supposed to flux at high temperatures (so they say).

Guest JBaymore

Any "wash" put under an applied glaze layer has the potential to have the glaze layer above it not adhere to the bisque.  It is like deliberately adding "dust".

SO was it fluxing... or did it just cause the glaze to peel away and then overly thinck... ran.  And some just fell right off and melted on the shelf?

best,

.....................john

Any "wash" put under an applied glaze layer has the potential to have the glaze layer above it not adhere to the bisque.  It is like deliberately adding "dust".

SO was it fluxing... or did it just cause the glaze to peel away and then overly thinck... ran.  And some just fell right off and melted on the shelf?

best,

.....................john

Good point; we use so many washes around here that I didn't even think about it.  I also don't know how concentrated the mix was.  You've probably hit the nail on the head since the glaze didn't drip at all - just fell off.

Thanks for the insight; the older I get the more I seem to forget.

Frank

Well, John beat me to the punch! Degussa inclusion stains are very refractory and require the addition of whiting or some other flux mixed with them to melt as over-glaze decoration.

If applied as a wash over the bisque, you would be applying a barrier to prevent the glaze from adhering.

Ain't ceramics fun?

Don't forget to test,test,test.

TJR

P.s. I've used degussa stains quite a bit. See gallery.

T.

Archived