Changes In Glaze And Clay Over The Last 30 Years

After being away from my beloved clay for 30 years I have just started a studio again.  I have been reading and hearing through the grapevine that several of the things I used to use to make clay and glazes have changed over the years.  I know of the loss of Albany Slip and I did acquire a substitute.  I have heard there may be changes to Custer Potspar and Gertsley Borate among other things. Can any of you nice folks please tell me about these changes and others I may have missed and where I can find information on the changes?  Thank you in advance for your help.

I think you may find that the buying public has changed. Before you make up 10,000 grams of iron saturate Temmoku-see if people want to purchase these colours.

Celadon is not a big seller for me either.

White sells, and coloured glazes.

Check out a few craft fairs before you crank up the "pottery making machine"

TJR.

TJR, not really worried at this point about selling work, just feels good to get my hands in it and be able to throw some functional as well as do my art.  But will take your suggestion to heart, if the day comes where I want to sell my work, I will be sure to go to some shows to see what sells.  Am still in the "test, test, test" phase, my first attempts of throwing after 30 years will also be used as glaze tests, among other things lol.

I realize the only thing constant is change, but I am feeling a little like Rip Van Winkle lol.  Wow big changes with the Feldspars.  Most of my recipes have always called for the Custer but I did get a bag of Minspar soda  to make adjustments if my tests indicate I need to.  Any other major changes?  I have noticed a lot of fire and ball clay changes even.  Lots are not available anymore.  Am looking into pit firing also since I do have the land and wood/fuel (lots of cow pies since we have a big herd) available for it, though right now am working with cone 9 stoneware since it is familiar to me as it is what I worked with at college and thought it would be a good starting point.  Also looking into Raku, though I loved the gas reduction we had at Herron, is it possible to build/fire a reduction on propane since I don't have access to natural gas?  I know of the dangers but have been making my own clay and will be making my own glazes, I do wear personal protective devices and keep a clean studio.  

Hey rayaldridge, do you have the titles or authors of those books per chance?  I have been reading so much lately as to feel I am burning up my eyeballs, and I am finding mostly "general" information; lots of things don't go into the fine detail I find necessary to give much help.  

check out your local propane dealer.  i was about to go to gas because i have a shell from an electric kiln and thought i would like to convert it.  my propane dealer said i had to have a 1,000 gallon tank.  sounded ridiculous, i know.  

since i have zero experience with gas, no place to safely put a kiln outdoors, and not as much desire to fire in reduction, i gave it up.

That is ridiculous.  You could get a couple 20 lb. tanks, like you see on campers, and manifold them together.  If your shell isn't too big, that would work fine.  You could haul the kiln outdoors in good weather to fire.  Put it on casters.

Archived