Members With Etsy Stores?

Guest JBaymore

I am NOT crazy for talking to myself about all this! :)

Not at all Neil........ it is what getting better at what you do is all about.

best,

...................john

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Etsy model and Amazon model are apples to oranges in comparisons.Etsy now seems to have very few rules on whats sold by whoever-so businesses now just use it to market imports.I never bought in to the concept but now its aout as far from thier roots as they could go.

Etsy model-the customer buys your whatever and you ship it them

Amazon model(at least for Prime members) is you ship your product in barcoded ready to ship box to thier fulfillment center in quantities and they ship to customer direct. So in this scenario you have a lot of work (and expense)to do before any sales take place (you can also have a 3rd party do this for you) which is more expense.

So whatever you product is these costs are all on the up front end before any sales atke place.

Amazon handmade is still in flux and is yet to be -so only time will tell how it shakes out.

I'm a big Amazon user and also process my credit cards thru thier reader on smart phone until 2017(flat rate of 1.5% ends and jumps to 2.5)

The square is more common with customers and Amazon data base is only now starting to grow.

I registered with Amazon handmade but have no plans on what or if I will sell any items thru them. It was easy to send in the paperwork. They will get back to me in 6 weeks they said.

Mark

Catching up on the thread, some interesting posts to read :D

The talk about truth in advertising is a good one. I have never felt their to be any real truth in most adverts. They are all out to confused and most of the time blatantly lie. These days it seems to be you show your product and then put it next to emotive images that don't even vaguely come from the product and people link the two. Coke are bad for this, they seem to push that happiness comes from drinking coke very heavily.

Informative topic I'm not planning on starting a store but my husband may when he retires.  I use to sell at galleries but quit when the economy got so bad, I thought the economy had improved but I guess we are on a downward slide again.  He restores cars for a hobby and has sold parts on E-Bay since it's start.  I have been sizing my work down and a more consistent size to make it easier to ship, storing it for now.   When he retires and needs extra money for a car project he can sell some pottery.  I can just keep working in my shop.   Denice

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update:

I recently made my first sale on my Etsy shop.  I've gradually added more work and done some modest promotion via Pinterest.  I was encouraged by the sale, because it was one of the more expensive pieces.  My traffic has slowly increased, and it's been quite educational to analyze the data the system gives you.

I'll keep the Etsy shop going because I'm pretty sure it will pay off, but I think I'll need to start a stand-alone blog and sales site.  I did this with a fair amount of success for the little sail boat I designed a few years back.  To promote the boat plans I sell, I did blog posts, videos, and talked about the boat on various forums.

I've noticed that some of my traffic comes from this forum, so thank you all!

This was the piece that sold:

post-65900-0-94686900-1439992472_thumb.jpg

post-65900-0-94686900-1439992472_thumb.jpg

Just an update:

I recently made my first sale on my Etsy shop.  I've gradually added more work and done some modest promotion via Pinterest.  I was encouraged by the sale, because it was one of the more expensive pieces.  My traffic has slowly increased, and it's been quite educational to analyze the data the system gives you.

I'll keep the Etsy shop going because I'm pretty sure it will pay off, but I think I'll need to start a stand-alone blog and sales site.  I did this with a fair amount of success for the little sail boat I designed a few years back.  To promote the boat plans I sell, I did blog posts, videos, and talked about the boat on various forums.

I've noticed that some of my traffic comes from this forum, so thank you all!

This was the piece that sold:

That's great. I too am going to enter on the etsy market place soon. Glad to see you already made a sell. 

Archived