Reconfiguring my Kiln question

Hi there clayfolk!

I have a 7cf top loading octagonal kiln, formerly electric, converted to propane.

It has a 2-port Summit burner kit with the ports in the center of the floor of the kiln, and a flue hole in the lid that I stack 4 bricks high for better draw.

It fires off a 150 gal propane tank to cone 10/11.

I acquired a new lid and rings for it (and by "new" I mean less ratty and chewed up) and am getting ready to redo the whole thing.

I am wondering if moving the burner ports as far forward towards the front of the kiln floor as possible, and relocating the flue hole to the back of the new kiln lid as possible will help move air and heat around a bit more in the kiln and thus help even out my temps and reduction atmosphere from top to bottom.

Does that make sense?

post-757-13129276606901_thumb.jpg

post-757-13129276606901_thumb.jpg

Marcia - thank you for the reply.

I do try to stagger my shelves, both in height and in orientation within the kiln.

I think what you're calling a chimney I am calling the flue stack. Its 16' tall and that really helps.

I find with the current config I get a pretty good neutral environment with the "damper" (broken kiln shelf) at about 1/2 open.

I keep about 1" of space between the burners and the bottom of the kiln, which seems to help me reach cone 10.

But OK, it sounds like this is worth trying, and won't hurt anything.

Again, thanks so much for the input!

Cathi

Also try to keep your flame inside the kiln. I think in the original post you had it cranked up to the max. This can sometimes be inefficient and send the heat out of the kiln. Fiddle with the burners and try to get a hard short flame to gain heat. Then when you reduce you can have the soft licking flame. You will have to figure it out from there. The hard short flame may need to be a little longer...as always it depends....And use the damper.

Marcia

Archived