Terra Sig on Functional Ware?

PuraVida

Hello everyone,

I was reading that terra sigilatta when applied to greenware and bisqued will seal the pot thus eliminating the need for further glazing. Is this true and if so is it possible then to terra sig stoneware in a similar fashion as Greek and Roman pots and then use them for functional ware such as mugs and pitchers? I have been researching red terra sigs and love the organic/ancient look achieved with them and would like to make some kitchen ware using this method. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Hello everyone,

I was reading that terra sigilatta when applied to greenware and bisqued will seal the pot thus eliminating the need for further glazing. Is this true and if so is it possible then to terra sig stoneware in a similar fashion as Greek and Roman pots and then use them for functional ware such as mugs and pitchers? I have been researching red terra sigs and love the organic/ancient look achieved with them and would like to make some kitchen ware using this method. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Anthony I'm pleased that you are researching history of terra sig, if you dig a little further you will discover that the people who used these suffered from food poisoning. When the Anazai Indians became ill from eating out of one of their bowls they would break a hole in the bottom to release the evil spirit. Just a thought. Denice

First, I believe the Anazazi put a hole in the pot to release the spirit of the deceased. It was part of a burial ritual. The pot was placed over the head of the dead person. At least that is what I have read. The Mimbres bowls were not covered with terra sig , but the black decoration was more of a slip. The Romans died more of lead poisoning from lead not necessarily from glazes but from plumbing etc.

Back to terra sig.

In looking at ancient pots with terra sig, the interior surface is usually dull..having been worn away by use.

Terra sig is a low temperature process and will not do the same on stoneware fired to high temperatures. While it will seal a surface..it does not seem to be a long term durable solution.

Firing a low temperature slip on stoneware will seal it but that would become a glaze.

Terra sig loses its soft sheen if it fires above ^09 or so.

Marcia

First, I believe the Anazazi put a hole in the pot to release the spirit of the deceased. It was part of a burial ritual. The pot was placed over the head of the dead person. At least that is what I have read. The Mimbres bowls were not covered with terra sig , but the black decoration was more of a slip. The Romans died more of lead poisoning from lead not necessarily from glazes but from plumbing etc.

I'm glad you made the above correction to a couple of post that came before.

Back to terra sig.

In looking at ancient pots with terra sig, the interior surface is usually dull..having been worn away by use.

Terra sig is a low temperature process and will not do the same on stoneware fired to high temperatures. While it will seal a surface..it does not seem to be a long term durable solution.

Firing a low temperature slip on stoneware will seal it but that would become a glaze.

Marcia

I'll have to check my notes on the the Anazazi hole punching, I was part of a Anazazi research group that studied and replicated the techniques, materials and firing methods. I toured a museum in Fort Worth and nearly all of there Anazazi pieces had holes punched in them including vases and seed pots. There had been several theories on this practice but this was the latest one then, it may have changed by now. Denice

Back to terra sig.

Marcia

I'll have to check my notes on the the Anazazi hole punching, I was part of a Anazazi research group that studied and replicated the techniques, materials and firing methods. I toured a museum in Fort Worth and nearly all of there Anazazi pieces had holes punched in them including vases and seed pots. There had been several theories on this practice but this was the latest one then, it may have changed by now. Denice

I had to study the Anasazi as well and the information was ‘that the vessels belonged to the deceased and that the pots were broken and placed upon the face at burial to release the spirit’. We know however that research in art and artifacts is constantly changing when new information is discovered. So who knows the most accurate information. And anyway Kiva culture is a peculiar subject that can really freak you out.

Archived