Mold Making

Grease up the bowl or cup you want to use with wd-40 or

Armour All (my favorite.) Mix the amount of plaster needed and for the mug or bowl to the top. Make sure you use bowls and cups do not have  inner curves or the mold won't come out. I make molds out of all sorts of found objects. There are lots of good trays and bowls at Target or places like that.

Have some fun!

Beth

DO NOT use grease, WD-40, vaseline or any other oil-based substance like suggested above, as your mold release.  The whole point of using plaster is to take advantage of the capillary/wicking action of the material, to pull water from the clay and set it up faster - if you go and use something oil-based as a mold release, you've now clogged the pores and severely diminished capillary action, if any at all.  

Use actual "mold soap" or purelube/greensoap, which are the products that should be available from any ceramics supply.  Alternative is diluted Murphy's Oil Soap.

DO NOT use grease, WD-40, vaseline or any other oil-based substance like suggested above, as your mold release.  The whole point of using plaster is to take advantage of the capillary/wicking action of the material, to pull water from the clay and set it up faster - if you go and use something oil-based as a mold release, you've now clogged the pores and severely diminished capillary action, if any at all.  

Use actual "mold soap" or purelube/greensoap, which are the products that should be available from any ceramics supply.  Alternative is diluted Murphy's Oil Soap.

I guess all my molds that I have been using for years don't work.

Perk, have you ever considered there is not only one way to do something??

I've been making pottery and using molds for a long long time

I would not mislead someone. edited by Pres

• 4 months later...

Archived