Cornish Stone Substitution

Cornish Stone, or Cornwall Stone is a potash feldspar. You could substitute Custer or any other potash feldspar. It is a bit more refractory than Custer, so you will have to test.

TJR.

Glaze materials really are cheap no matter what they cost if you think about it.Especially feldspars.

At least that what I have found.

Mark

Mark is correct. Just remember that any feldspar you use as a glaze component is a complex mix that might work as well or better with a combination of other (cheaper) materials of approx the same chemical composition.  the ONLY way you can find out is by testing and tweaking. Cornish stone does not have any wonderful, inherent properties that would be impossible to get otherwise.  Software calculations MAY get you closer, but you probably will have to fine tune to get just the results you want. This means understanding how to move the gaze in the direction you want by manipulating the components. There is plenty of info out there and as a newbie it is greatly to your advantage to learn at lest the basics of glaze formulation.

Start out with Min's formulation from Digifire and go for it.

Yep $40 a kilo sounds expensive to me.  The problem with trying to artificially replicate it, is that you are introducing all the variation and trace contaminants of 6 new ingredients when all you wanted was the one! :(

Better in my mind to go back to the recipe which uses Cornish Stone, and try to find an approximate single substitute for it that you can get consistently for a reasonable price.  There are all sorts of ingredients that folks in Oz cannot really get.  Getting completely fed up with constantly trying to "domesticate" imported glaze recipes was one of the best things that ever happened to me.  Because that was when I when back to basics and started to make my own!

Archived