Which artist would you love to work beside in their studio for one week? Provide artists name and why? | Aug. 8, 2011

So ... Which artist would you love to work beside in their studio for one week?

How would this affect you and your work? Would you watch or hope to collaborate? What would they learn from you?

It would be fun to attach an image of their work or a link to their website as well as their name and your reason why you would want to have their company and influence for a while.

Have you check out the answers from the last two weeks? I hope you love reading through the answers like I do--ranging from funny to serious. If you have not had the chance to read or post your answer to the last two question, it is not too late. Check out them out:

New to the Forum? Here are some instructions for you.

If you have not been on the Potters Council forum, no worries. You can register today for FREE. Already a registered user go here to sign in.

New users to the forum check out the links below for help:

I hope you have as much fun answering the questions, as the Potters Council Board had putting the list together. We are also accepting additional questions of the week. Send your question to cdorr@ceramics.org.

I don't know the artist's name, but the work coming out of the Irish pottery Colm de Ris is stunning, and both functional AND sculptural. Their designs are steeped in history, and their "logo", a triple swirl design, is a modern take on an ancient symbol. BEAUTIFUL! I'd love to have at least one of everything I've ever seen them create!

So ... Which artist would you love to work beside in their studio for one week?

How would this affect you and your work? Would you watch or hope to collaborate? What would they learn from you?

It would be fun to attach an image of their work or a link to their website as well as their name and your reason why you would want to have their company and influence for a while.

I love tea bowls. I would pick an old master - Ogata Kenzan. I love the underglaze painting. I would want to sit there and just watch. I would look for the things that inspired the designs. I like the idea of being able to hold art in my hands that is a product of earth, air, water, and fire.

I'd like to work with Nick Joerling of NC- http://carolinaclayguild.squarespace.com/nick-joerling/ - I just took a workshop at Kentucky Mudworks with him and a day wasn't enough! The movement he creates in his work is breathtaking! He shared his ideas and techniques so openly, I felt like I could come back to the studio and just make my pots dance. A week with him would certainly be inspirational and fun.

Gosh, this is such a hard question because there are many potters I admire and would like to learn from.

However, if I must pick one, I think that would be Lana Wilson. I am not a handbuilder primarily, but I so admire Lana's use of various construction techniques, repurposing of common items into tools, and her color and design aesthetic. I think with a week working with her, I could really "get down with it" in handbuilding. I think selecting someone from another clay discipline would only add to my skill in the wheel work, and give me a lot of space to explore.

If Lana was unavailable, Robin Hopper would stand in just fine. There may be a bit to be learned from that gentleman too!

John

Margaret Wozniak, whose beautiful work is shown in the Lark Book "500 Vases". Why? She has such a subtle process where she puts love into the clay she touches. This way of working has taught me much in the years I was her student. Working slowly to develop a work of art in clay has inspired my work. Plus, I'm now in Asheville, NC and she, New York. <3 MJ

I would love to work with Tom Coleman. I work in his cone 10 porcelain and use his slip recipe with good results. His approach to the clayI is much looser than mine and his relaxed style of design would enhance my own which tends to be too tight and disciplined. I have admired him for many years.

Zuma

For me, this is a no-brainer.

I was recently paired with a mentor through the Potters' Council's mentor program, so the chance to spend some face time with my mentor, David Beumee` would be amazing.

I would both watch and collaborate!

I expect I would come away much closer to my stated goal of refining my eye. I have issues with things like balance, grace and negative space, and David's work shows his command of those areas very well, and watching his process and having him watch mine would fuel a tremendous growth spurt in me I'm sure.

This is one of my favorites from his site.

Its quiet and simple and well, just so far from the riot my work is at the moment...

IMG_5643-lg.jpg

Make it Michaelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni for me. But, a week wouldn't be long enough. Still, how cool would it be that I could tell everyone who I met. I'd grab Sherman & Peabody and their Waback Machine. We'd go back to, say, 1535, and hang out in "Mike's studio. We'd both be 60 years old. Then I'd have him up to mine.

Definitely George Ohr ... The Mad Potter of Biloxi!

I would drive him even crazier with a million questions as I watched him work ... why??? how???

How did you keep on when nobody believed in you !!!

If only there were someone out there ready to give us the money we need to keep the new Ohr-O'Keefe Museum open in Biloxi! Frank Gehry was the architect for the Museum, and of course Hurricane Katrina changed all of the dynamics between the city and the Board of Directors of the Museum, and just how the cities money should be spent. There is a very good chance that the Museum may close if funding isn't found.

Now, I would want to be in the studio and study with M.C. Richards, a potter, teacher, and poet. She was so ahead of her time and hung out with John Cage and so many other interesting artists of her era!

Robert Piepenburg

He is a professor of ceramics, and author of many books on ceramics including raku.

Two of my most favorite books are: The Spirit of Clay, and Treasures of the Creative Spirit. In my career in ceramics, I have been more influenced by these two books, than any others. I think he has an incredible ability to stimulate and unearth the creative potential of his students. Working beside him in his studio would therefore be an unbelievable experience for me!

This is an easy question. Peter King and Xinia Marin at the StoneHaus in Pensacola Florida.

A week would not even be enough. Peter and Xinia are both amazingly creative, competent and knowledgeable.

They are not afraid to share information, and no question seems dumb enough for them to ignore.biggrin.gif

They are happy to teach the teachable. http://www.peterkingceramics.com/

B

Definitely George Ohr ... The Mad Potter of Biloxi!

I would drive him even crazier with a million questions as I watched him work ... why??? how???

How did you keep on when nobody believed in you !!!

If only there were someone out there ready to give us the money we need to keep the new Ohr-O'Keefe Museum open in Biloxi! Frank Gehry was the architect for the Museum, and of course Hurricane Katrina changed all of the dynamics between the city and the Board of Directors of the Museum, and just how the cities money should be spent. There is a very good chance that the Museum may close if funding isn't found.

Now, I would want to be in the studio and study with M.C. Richards, a potter, teacher, and poet. She was so ahead of her time and hung out with John Cage and so many other interesting artists of her era!

I was there is Jan. 2011. What a fantastic facility. They were nearing completion of a new education/classroom with lots of potential.

I would like to work with Palissy and help him pull up the floor boards of his home while trying to reach temperature. Such passion!!! He gives Ohr a run for his money as far as carrying on when no one supported his Majolica exploration.

I love his work. Details to the creepy crawly of nature have become more emphasized in my life in deep south Texas since I am surrounded by lizards , turtles, and bugs.

Marcia

Guest HerbNorris

Santiago Calatrava, without doubt.

I think just to watch him design something and bring it to fruition would be instructive, I really doubt he would learn anything from me, I don't think I would volunteer anything anyhow!

Many of his buildings started as sculptures that he made, and he has also designed and made ceramics, which are on his site.

His sense of line, shape and form is tremendous, I think.

Plus, he can work on many scales and the results are satisfying. He can work on a personal scale, as in his ceramics and sculptures, he can work on a group scale, as in his stage sets for the NYC ballet, or, on a grand and public scale in his architecture.

I'm disappointed that work on his Spire isn't being continued in Chicago, it is just a big hole in the ground. Had it been built, I would have had two of his projects within easy driving distance.

Archived