Pottery Wheel?

I don't no if this is the correct sub forum to post this but here goes.

Back in High school i tool pottery class it was fun i made things on the wheel and also sculpting.

now that i am an adult i want to invest some interest in pottery for fun but i don't no anything about different types of clay

or pottery wheels and i cant afford a 300+ pottery wheel or a 1000+ electric kiln

is there any good affordable pottery wheels and are there any cheep methods to cook pottery?

thank you!

The best way to get back into clay is by taking some classes at a community art center or private studio.  You have a lot to learn and your not ready yet to own a wheel or kiln.  You need to work your way into it so when the time comes you'll know what type of kiln you want or which wheel your prefer.   Denice

it prob takes much longer to get rlly good at pottery but i did take 4 years of it in highschool i threw pottery for 4 years so i like to think im good enough to get a wheal

but we only used generic cheep grey clay because of funding and i did not learn much about different types of clay

i appreciate the advice but i am in a position ware i can not go to classes etc

this is why im asking if there are any decent affordable pottery wheals and a cheep method for cooking pottery

also what kinda clay is good for vaces and cups etc

I still use the cheap grey stoneware that they had back in college, I love the stuff.

If you spend the time watching second hand items you can find good bargains. You can also find terribly broken bits of kit. If you are going to fire an electric kiln it can also be expensive to install the correct wiring/power. You will always need a reasonable sum of money to set up a pottery studio with everything needed to make a pot. There is just lots of it.

You might be able to score a used wheel off of Craigslist or government surplus sites.  Same for a used kiln . . . maybe start with a small, test kiln (good enough for a half dozen mugs at a time)  that do not require specialized electrical hookups. 

Other options:  you could make a raku kiln and power it with a weed burner from Home Depot/similar stores.  Google raku kilns and you'll find plenty of dyi videos.  You can probably make a decent one for under $100.  With raku, you will not be able to make functional ware (cups, mugs) as the temperature goes not get high enough to vitrify/mature the clay.  But you can make nice decorative wares.  Also check out obvara firing technique . . . another approach that might work.

For clays, if you go raku route, find a raku claybody -- they are formulated to withstand the temperature shocks that go with raku. 

If you can score a test kiln, I'd suggest a cone 6 stoneware body or an earthenware body for cones 04/05.  A Cone 6 clay body fired to cone 6 will give you a mature ware that can be used for mugs, cups, bowls, vases.  Earthenware does not fully mature and can weep/seep. 

If you can't score a used wheel, think about hand-building.  Get a good, easy rolling, heavy banding wheel and use that as your wheel platform. 

Grype, are you thinking of Paulus Berensohn? 

and,  primus 1213, are you really a person or is someone starting a joke?  if you truly had 4 years experience you would know better than to suggest that pottery is "cooked".  if you are real, i apologize, if a joke, what is your point?

Yes! thanks, that is who I was speaking of.

Clay is so beautiful, every one first thinks you need a wheel, but if you cant afford one, there are many awesome things you can still create without a wheel. I marvel at handbuilt sculptures and some of the most beautiful plates and platters are hand built.

Before I started with highfire clay and pottery, I made clay sculptures, pinchpots, and coil pots my whole life out of the oven kind. From when I was 5 till 30. Heck I just finished making my son some polymer clay toys of his favorite characters. 

Primus--depending on locality, you may find what you need in local papers, regional Craig's List, local high schools selling off older equipment, or even by putting out you own "Want" ad. I found a terrific old Brent Kick-Wheel for $75 in near-perfect condition and a local children's "paint your own" clay studio owner who was willing to fire stuff for a very small fee. Turned out I did not need these, but I really did not expect to find such treasures in my small, rural state.

People in my neighborhood persist in asking me how my cooking is going, or have I baked anything lately (after I have tried to gently educate by using the correct terminology and even explaining the "difference".) Some persist in calling my kiln, which they can see from the street, covered by a box with the word "kiln" in big red letters, a KILM, even after being nicely corrected---maybe its a local dialect thing, I dunno, but it makes me cringe and not want to converse...yet, really, how much should it matter?

For checking out info on different clay bodies without taking classes or buying pricey books, most of the major ceramic supplier sites have good descriptions of the products and how they are commonly used.    

Primus, as others have stated, I started with hand building and bas/low relief tile sculptures.all low temp c04, earthenware. I went to a local art studio that had wheels and kilns. I made my work at home and brought my pieces there for firing.

Then I bought a used wheel on Craigslist for $250. I'm mostly self taught thru internet, books and forums like this. Have fun!

LeeU,

The Elementary teacher, that I Student Taught with, pronounced it as "kil".  As I understand it, that is an accepted pronunciation, along with kilN.  But I always think it sounds weird to say "kil", especially when dealing with youngins'.  

We can often get questions from posters who have never worked in clay, and don't know (and don't use) the common terms. Also, humour can be hard to "hear" in the absence of voice inflection. We all started out as noobs with noob questions. Ask what you need to. It will be answered.

I second Lee's advice about the clay store near you having good information about what to try for materials. You don't have to be a chemist. It does help to have an idea about what you'd like your pots to look like. For instance white glaze over red clay for a rustic look, medium fire stoneware for durability and colour, any sort of special process based firings for ...all kinds of fun stuff. The suppliers can make suggestions based on what you want to work towards.

I own a potters wheel that I saved up for and bought new. I still don't own a kiln. I fire out of my local arts centre, because initially, it was more cost effective than owning a kiln. I am making (and selling!) enough pots now that I am saving for my own kiln, 14 years after graduating college. Don't be afraid of doing it in bits. It can de-stress some of the process. It's easier to carve out space for some shelves and a wheel than it is to build everything all at once.

Oh, and clay is, for the most part, cheap. The other stuff might not be, but at least the clay is cheap!

haha thanks i appreciate all the advice i till need to figure out what agsacly are good brands etc posting an add on craigslist sounds good

what about building a brick kiln that uses wood or charcoal to Fire pots bricks are cheep and im good with bricks and cement

haha thanks i appreciate all the advice i till need to figure out what agsacly are good brands etc posting an add on craigslist sounds good

what about building a brick kiln that uses wood or charcoal to Fire pots bricks are cheep and im good with bricks and cement

Are you saying;"exactly?"

My best advice to you, sir or madam is to take an evening pottery class before you start building a kiln. Kilns do not use cement mortar as the kiln has to be able to expand with heat. Also, cement melts at the temperatures we fire to.

Can you give us some more information about yourself. I am still not buying that you are a legitimate poster. I don't mind helping people, but I don't want to be laughed at.

TJR.

LeeU,

The Elementary teacher, that I Student Taught with, pronounced it as "kil".  As I understand it, that is an accepted pronunciation, along with kilN.  But I always think it sounds weird to say "kil", especially when dealing with youngins'.  

Ben;

i alwys thought that this was a southern American expression. I have not heard anyone else say it.

Try this;.."We need to load the kee-il this afternoon." Think hot day. We are all wearing our cowboy hats and boots. I've got a big dinner plate belt buckle. After we load the kee-il, we can have some peach cobbler.

T.

You guys think up some very elaborate jokes. Cut the poster a little slack, I don't think English is their first language.

I get that. A little more information would be helpful, as to location.

T.

LeeU,

My friend from Iowa pronounced it KILM, but it only bothered me until I saw he was a master of every KILM he fired.

Archived