Community Kiln Availability

WaltC

Hi:  I just finished a three week course for ceramic sculpting in Chicago. I'm back in L.A. and would like to start sculpting with these new basic skills.

What I'd like to find out (and I posted on here because I didn't see anything that looked like general info) is to rent space in a kiln to fire my pieces. I live in West Los Angeles and looked for a community kiln that might offer this but haven't found anything as of yet. Any help in directing me to someone who does this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I just googled and came up with a list. First one I clicked - ball clay studio , has lessons and membership at different levels. Before you start sculpting, be forewarned, most studios need you to use their clay so that they are sure of what you are firing. Jolie

Thank you so much your input / feedback. From what I've learned the businesses that have kilns require you to take their classes. I understand this but am looking for a co-op type arrangement where  everyone contributes to operating expenses and use of space , kiln etc. This would be unlikely though.

There might be private parties that rent space in their kilns. That would also be a great option. I'm open to suggestions regardless.

The co-op may be hard to find, the one for HIV positive potters is a co-op so that type of arrangement is out there.  You might have to buy a small kiln that works with 110 wiring and use low fire sculpture clay.  You have to start some where and sculpture has a lot fewer tools than throwing unless your working big.  My first studio area was a small kiln, desk and lamp in the garage.  Denice

Honestly, I found a bunch of places in LA that rent studio access with the use of kilns to (paying) members, without the need of classes... I just googled it.

Try Echo Ceramics and The Clayhouse to start. They can probably direct you to other similar places if they don't work out for any reason (price, location, etc).

Also, I'm up in San Francisco, but that's the kind of situation I have right now and it's great, and I feel like it's becoming more common in urban areas.

Archived