Do You Have A Miscellaneous Corner?

http://s1183.photobucket.com/user/josephrosenblatt/slideshow/Studio%20Revamp

My entire studio is in disarray. I have been using these black shelves I just put together on top of each other as a wedging table and work table. Seriously I used two shelves for work tables for 1.5 years. Total of 75 dollars. I bought a crappy 30 dollar plastic table at target for a glazing table so I could wipe it down. I bought cheap terrible steralite shelves for random crap to go on. Mostly my wet pots and bisqued pots went on them. Again I wasn't working nearly as fast back then. I used the middle of a shelve as a place for my work tools and leaned my bats up against it, beside my wheel. 

Stuff everywhere. I literally work out of half a garage, I refuse to make my wife park in the driveway until I start selling pots for money. Tomorrow I am going to buy 8 more 1''x8''x3' boards for shelves and 16 more L brackets to use as places to dry pots. I will throw pots on the boards and put them on the wall that way I save massive floor space. I mostly make bowls, vases and mugs so it will work fine. The big 14'' bowls will go on the black shelves to dry. 

That is my plan tomorrow. Right now there is nothing around my wheel. I plan to make my wheel setup like this guys: https://jeremyayerspottery.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/2015-vases-in-progress.jpg  Looks cheap and effective, I googled wheel setups and his looked the cheapest. Tomorrow I am going to go buy 6 cyinder blocks and some 1''x10''3' and put them in front of my wheel like his. Then put my tools on my right, and those boards from the shelves on my left. So I can throw a pot, take it off and put it on the board, when board fills put it on the wall. Brackets are designed to hold 200 lbs at like 6 feet and mine are only 3 feet long, so should hold up a bunch of mugs no problem.

I am thinking about building some kinda plastic pulley system at the top of the wall with a roll of plastic. So if I need the pots to dry slower I can roll down the plastic over the pots on the wall. Or build a shower curtain out of plastic over the entire wall and just pull it over it if I can't get to the pots. 

Then I am going to go buy a real WORK BENCH! With metal legs and a solid wood top! I am so excited. I am also going to buy a banding wheel! Do you know how hard it is to make a mug with a nice handle doing it stacked up on about 15 square bats and using your wheel to turn it as you work. 

Then I am going to build a wedging table like this:  http://sondahl.com/wedget.gif. Except mine will be a tad shorter, and I am going to L shape it on the metal work table I buy using some metal brackets to wrap around and bind the 2x4s to the metal table. Cause I dont have any place on the wall to put it. So it will need the added stability, plus I will store clay on the under tables. 

So much work to do, but I have saved up money for this and I finally sold some of my tall vases for some cash to afford most of this stuff.

So yes. My entire floor is like yours Enjoy!

grype, i know you think i am nuts but look at the shelves with the wet pots on them.  they are plywood.  buy one sheet of plywood and have the store cut it for you.  regular 1x8 will warp.  in the middle of the night some time in the future, your cinder block will twist off and drop the whole thing to the floor or your wheelhead.

It was taken on my phone but when viewed on my laptop it is still the right way round, gave up trying to figure it out. The boxes are actually where I store my packaging. Under the ones thrown on the top are about 200 flatpack boxes.

All that stuff looks necessary Grype :D You always need so much stuff to complete a pot that nothing ever stays clean. You tidy up then make some work and everything moves again. It's a constant flux between organised and disorganised. Half of what is in my corner could also be stored in the rubbish bin :D

well my whole studio is the dump corner of doom. so much in there that does not need to be. could be much better organized. but i would rather fiddle with clay.  oh well.  need to get a plan.   i have a book on how to organize everything but i bet it has no chapter on how to organize a pottery studio. rakuku

Archived