Kiln And Extension Cord

PRankin

Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a small kiln, a Paragon xpress 1193 120v 18amp cone 8 just to fire small pieces at home. (In another thread I mentioned how some of my work was stolen at the college studio which I will still use for larger pieces). I would like to use it outside on my covered patio but I'll need to use a heavy duty extension cord about 6-9 feet long. Paragon said they don't recommend extension cords but they know people use them, a non-answer.

What do you all think? Do any if you use extension cords to plug in your kilns? Thanks for the advice.

Paul

i needed something like that when i set up my first kiln, a paragon 88A or B.  the electrical panel was in the hallway and the bedroom i used was at least 10 feet away.  an electrician used the exact kind of wire, VERY thick, that was on the kiln itself.  he attached one end into the box and ran the wire through the walls to the room i used and ended it with an outlet sized for the kiln.  all of this was with the help of paragon's tech at the time.  call them.

If the cord is rated for the power I don't see a problem. I think you add more points to fail but as long as they work properly then it is fine.

I ran a 13amp 240v (standard plug socket power in UK) through an extension cord and it did get a little hot but probably because it was on full power for 6-7 hours.

I have a kiln like that and used a short extension cord the first few times I fired it, until I wired a proper plug to the location. A couple of thoughts: It is 120V 18A, which means it requires the next standard size up, i.e., 20A. For this, a standard household outlet will not work. Even though a kitchen or bath is supposed to be wired with 20A circuits, the wall outlets are usually 15A outlets. A 15A plug has the 2 flat prongs aligned parallel. Most kitchen and bath appliances are 15A appliances, but the 20A circuit allows you to have 2 items plugged in and running at the same time, and then they usually run for only a short time, so the wiring doesn't overheat.

Your kiln is a completely different situation. The plug on the end of the power cord is a full 20A plug, on which the 2 flat prongs are NOT parallel. One of them is upright and the other is sideways. This means you must plug it into a matching 20A outlet, which has one upright slot and one "T"-shaped slot. You might or might not have any such outlet in your house. If you do find one, it will probably not be in a convenient location. If you don't have such a full 20A outlet in a convenient place, you will have to get one installed. I was lucky, there was a proper outlet just inside the garage door.

Now, on to the extension cord. The wire in the cord must be heavy enough to carry the current, namely 12ga or larger (and longer cord requires larger wire to offset voltage drop). The plug ends (both male and female) must be 20A rated, namely the cross-wise prong on the male end and the T-slot on the female end. The only such cord you are likely to find commercially will be one designed for a window air conditioner, and those are usually only about 6' long.

Thanks Dick. I should have explained this a little more. The outlet and circuit breaker are 20 amp with the proper 5-20 receptacle configuration to match the kiln's plug. We needed everything rewired after hurricane Sandy and they upgraded the panel and wiring. The house wires are 12g and I plan on getting a 12g extension cord. I would rather not do any more electrical work if I can avoid that. A 6 ft extension cord would be sufficient but I saw a 9 ft somewhere.

Paul

Paul, you are good to go. An air conditioner extension cord should work, though you may need to replace the plug on the cord with a proper 5-20 if you can't find one with the proper plugs already on the ends. Not a difficult task. Fire on!

As an addendum, even though the patio has a roof, get a grill cover to put over the kiln when not in use to protect against blowing rain and moisture.

dw

Archived