How Does This Potter Produce This Effect?

When I was on vacation in Springdale Utah, we went to some art galleries? 

One guy was doing some pretty fantastic stuff, so I took a lot of pictures.   I've been trying to figure out some of his techniques. 

One of his procedures that I can't figure out is how he's making the white slip lines sag so evenly in two or three spots. He does similar things on a lot of his work? Two pictures attached.

I have tried dragging a feather, stick or brush over the parallel lines of glaze. This produces a more smeared or narrow pattern vs the even movement toward the center of the platter.

Do you have any idea how he makes this happen. 

Thanks

post-6406-0-30848800-1433870123_thumb.jpg

post-6406-0-79232500-1433870154_thumb.jpg

post-6406-0-30848800-1433870123_thumb.jpg

post-6406-0-79232500-1433870154_thumb.jpg

This is strange deal as my Dentist whom I went to yesterday has two of this same guys work on the wall.

You can slip trail slip or glaze especially glaze if you can add aditives to slow down the drying or once fire it on wet clay.

Mark

You can devise a multi-needle slip trailer that allows you to make multiple lines in one motion.  I've seen them on Ron Philbeck's site, Hannah McAndrew, also. 

Looks like a base glaze, with some type of wash/glaze over parts, then slip trail on top.  The slip trail reacts/moves where it touches the wash/glaze. 

I have a feather slip trailered large bowl by Vince Pitaleka back when he was like me a production potter and lived down the street-I'll try to shoot it in the next few days and post that photo here. I have to much on my plate today.

mark

A comb is pretty much what it sounds like-a set of narrow teeth on a backboard, so you can hold on to it. You drill holes in a thin piece of wood, then drop bras brads through them. Then you comb through the lines of slip to get your design. This is very similar to paper marbeling techniques. The slip would need to be fairly wet.

I have done this a lot with paper, but not much with clay.

Archived