Take, for instance, Potters Council. Established for individuals (like you) who are passionate about pottery. You subscribe for membership, and in no time a whole cornucopia of benefits rains on your head.

Or maybe a more local clay association, where you can meet people in your vicinity? Or even a worldwide promotor of potters and pottery, like NCECA?

Would a membership in such a serviceable establishment be of some, much or little importance to you?

I myself am a content Potters Council member and I'm also a member of the Catalonian, a Swiss and a Taiwanese Ceramics Association as well as an NCECA member. My career as a ceramist got (and still get every day) many impulses and support in being a member of those associations.

How about you?

Evelyne

Why are you saying this Bciske? Are you making a joke?

Anf if you wouldn't have to join a group "in the flesh" but be part of an association you could benefit from, say, health insurance, discount on car rental, business insurance, mentoring programms, discount on books and dvd's etc., would you be interested?

I do not need an association/group for health insurance, etc. I already have that -- it came as part of my 35+ years service in another job. And, given the demographics of the forum, which is largely part-time potters who have other full-time jobs or retirees who take up pottery after careers elsewhere, many of those benefits are not selling points for joining. There is a need by some full time potters for insurance, etc. and groups like Pottery Council serve that need. I am just not in that situation. I do not do internet sales, so I don't need shipping discounts.

For me, it isn't always the organization itself that is the benefit but access to individual members in an organization.  I joined the local/state craft organization, Tennessee Craft, not long ago in no small part to show support for an organization whose events I have been attending for the last 20 years...the jury is still out on just how beneficial that membership may be.  Again, having a different level of access to members is quite valuable.  Clay people, like many entrepreneurial types, can become isolated and disconnected from peers without some intentional/organizational intervention.

I rank my Potter's Council membership as an exceptionally beneficial organization on many levels...but still the connections to other clay people is what I enjoy the most.

-Paul

Guest JBaymore

"Benefits" come in many forms.  Having a plethora of those "benefits" helps an organization to attract more people who find something of value in joining that organization.  Some benefits are tangible (I get a subscription or a T shirt or something)... and some are intangible, like networking. 

Networking in the arts field is just as important as it is in other professional fields of employment.  Opportunities come from people, and people make up organizations.  So involvement in organizations helps you meet a more diverse and larger range of people.

The more "circles" you travel in... the more potential opportunities might arise from those people.

(Or the more people you can tick off....... the other side of the coin. ;) )

Been involved in many associations over the years.  All were, or are, important to the path my life has followed.  From some I gained some education, from some I gained discounts, from some I gained credibility and professional certification, from some I found opportunities, from some I had fun, from some I gained the personal satisfaction from "giving back".

best,

..................john

I am a member of several groups. I like the professional contacts. Potters Council, NCECA, Texas Clay Art Association, The Fulbright Association. 

Potters Council offers much more than Health insurance although that was a big accomplishment because of state line barriers when we were researching it.

Read more about the benefits such as subscriptions to Ceramics Monthly or Pottery Making Illustrated.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/potters-council/about-us/

also discounts at local conferences/workshops.

yes, giving back or continuing it forward is a big part of being part of a group.

Marcia

I am a bit of an isolationist and at the same time I can be quite gregarious...so, for me, group affiliation and participation, in general, (both live and online-only groups) provides me with a way to balance. I try to get what I need, try to give back/contribute what I can, and essentially maintain/cultivate connections with people in a primarily educational and supportive context. Regarding ceramics and "clay people" specifically, I find this CAD community very helpful and friendly, and I do belong to the Potters Council, tho most of the tangible benefits do not apply. I like supporting it and like the newsletter. As for NCECA, I am just not into large conferences (on any subject) anymore, having done them for decades.  With the local and online groups, membership brings me the special pleasure and blessing of meeting so many different people, from all over the world, and that is a real treat. I have not had the fortune of traveling much, other than the east coast of the U.S., so I vicariously enjoy "visiting" other places though people's stories and descriptions.    

The only benefits I do enjoy with Ceramic Arts Daily, is the advice I need and get from veteran potters in the forum, this is exceptional. I also like the videos from CAD, but would like to see newer ones. They show repeats a lot. Maybe, there could be a guest speaker video from potters in different parts of the country and the world. I do go to YouTube for these, but it could work to bring in renowned potters of different cultures. And I also like the discounts on the publications.

I have health, dental and vison ins. with my wife's job, but if that ever stopped I would consider CAD's offer.

As to the friendship aspect, it seems as if it will only be an online thing. But if anyone every drives through South Texas, Kingsville, I would be tickled pink to have you stop by.

Do we have a section here in the forum or CAD where we can find up coming shows? A place that we can find members we talk to here? And a place that shows us newbies how to get in local or national shows?

Thanks for asking and listening.

Thank you all for telling us what you think about membership to Ceramic Associations. I feel that some of you are disappointed from experiences in the past. I always think that such experiences lead to learning and doing it better next time. Maybe change a group? Or try to influence people in a group by leading them? Helping on the Board?

To Marko I want to ask whether you ever thought of going to NCECA to meet people (not only online)? And if you are a Potters Council member, you get the newletter "Potters Pages". There you can find upcoming shows. I never saw a place that shows how to get in shows, but open up a new topic on the forum! I'm sure you will get help immediately.

I hope more forum users come to this QOTW-topic this week and tell us their opinion. Thanks Marcia for the Potters Council link!

Thanks Evelyne for asking and answering questions. I have never been to NCECA. Maybe if it comes to Texas I can go. One reason I sell online is that I sell specialized ceramic. I am a vegan and I want to fuel that market with my ware. It is a growing market and I really love being able to give vegans something that they can enjoy and share with friends.

I guess this is why I haven't posted in the Gallery. I do not want to create a stir. I like the people here in the Potter's Council and CAD, but I think some would get offened. IDK, just saying. Veganism means a lot to me. Anyway, thanks for your kindness and help.

Do we have a section here in the forum or CAD where we can find up coming shows?

Various magazines, such as Ceramics Monthly, Pottery Making Illustrated, Clay Times, Studio Potter, all have listings of upcoming shows that a person can apply to. You can also try the on-line services mentioned above. Some are also listed in the events forum on this site.

Hard part is differentiating between juried shows/competitions for exhibition of an item vs. juried fairs for selling.

One reason I sell online is that I sell specialized ceramic. I am a vegan and I want to fuel that market with my ware. It is a growing market and I really love being able to give vegans something that they can enjoy and share with friends.

I'd look for events that cater to vegans and vegan lifestyles. In the spring, I do a number of garden and flower shows because I make ikebana and other vases. Those events have the audience I am trying to reach (and, most times, I will be the only potter there selling wares . . . can't ask for a better set up.)

Do we have a section here in the forum or CAD where we can find up coming shows? A place that we can find members we talk to here? And a place that shows us newbies how to get in local or national shows?

Thanks for asking and listening.

Mark,

A local craftperson-friend pointed me to ZAPP.  It not only lists a bunch of events with the ability to sort through the list, but also to submit an applcation from the site: https://www.zapplication.org/index.php

It might make a good topic for discussion, "How do you find out about shows, exhibits, and juried events?"

Paul:)

@Marko  You wrote "I haven't posted in the Gallery. I do not want to create a stir." and something about worries of offending and veganism. Now I am just dying of curiosity...would love to see some ceramic pieces "for vegans" (of which I am "almost").  Please don't tease with a "hit and run"...let us in on the mystery! I doubt anyone would get too bent, even if it shows a strong point of view or satire or graphic drawings of dead cow steaks LOL Seeing some vegan-related  work, for me, would just be one more benefit of the CAD forums.  :D 

@Marko  You wrote "I haven't posted in the Gallery. I do not want to create a stir." and something about worries of offending and veganism. Now I am just dying of curiosity...would love to see some ceramic pieces "for vegans" (of which I am "almost").  Please don't tease with a "hit and run"...let us in on the mystery! I doubt anyone would get too bent, even if it shows a strong point of view or satire or graphic drawings of dead cow steaks LOL Seeing some vegan-related  work, for me, would just be one more benefit of the CAD forums.  :D 

LeeU, I will post some things I have going, but I have been busy experimenting on how I want my vegan ceramic ware to look. I am not going to use any negative verse or anything that makes someone upset. They are more of a motivational type of ware for vegans. Well, I have been busy all day and now the wife and I wants some popcorn and a movie. I'm glad your curious and thinking about veganism. It's been emotional roller-coaster, but physically, health wise, I feel really good. And my last lab test in March got an, A minus. I need a tad bit more Vitamin D, supplements and sun should do it, and I have cut down my saturated fats, this was probably the extra vegan butter I was eating, to get my Triglycerides back to normal. Not to high, but I know it will be better at my next test.   

Anyway, I will work on the gallery by Sunday. Thanks for asking.  :rolleyes:  

I have gained tons from being on this forum and being part of this association. I have tried to give back where I can if my knowledge fits there. I am learning quickly and improving fast from the small things I pick up here, mostly using the search function to find my question has already been answered 90% of the time. If not I can post it, and within 24 hours usually have a few solutions. It is magnificent. 

When I go pro potter, I will for sure join the Potters Council the price is fantastic for the benefits imo. I also look forward to the mentorship program that it offers, if I can find a mentor that is interested in the same areas as me.

I will probably also join the NCECA as I wish my school had a ceramics program.  = ( also there is some amazing things going on there. I have watched a few of the videos that interest me and man oh man. Great speakers. 

The funny thing is, I sound like a social person, but I have a very tiny internet footprint. I don't have facebook, twitter, pinstagram or any of those things. What is even more funny is I am a tech person and have worked tech jobs most of my life until my cancer. I never understood the idea of sharing all my personal data with strangers. I still don't understand it. However I do like to be a member of a group and learn, then return the favor. The wonderful thing about these forums is I feel like I will have the ability to do that very shortly. I am gearing up to go into a production environment soon. Modifying my studio, getting down my base glazes, nailing down my firing schedules, throwing nice pots that are very functional. All of that because I signed up to be a part of this association. It is amazing.

Marko: My opinion is that everybody can make the pieces they like to do and should put pictures in the Gallery for the other forum members to see. Like Lee, what I don't understand is what should create a stir about pottery for vegans? And I'm really interested if there is pottery for vegans and for non-vegans. I never thought about a difference. I would love to see pottery of yours Marko!

Bciske and Paul: thank you for the links and the ideas! I got Paul's hint :D and now.... well, go over to the new Question of the week and look for yourself....

Evelyne

Marko: My opinion is that everybody can make the pieces they like to do and should put pictures in the Gallery for the other forum members to see. Like Lee, what I don't understand is what should create a stir about pottery for vegans? And I'm really interested if there is pottery for vegans and for non-vegans. I never thought about a difference. I would love to see pottery of yours Marko!

Bciske and Paul: thank you for the links and the ideas! I got Paul's hint :D and now.... well, go over to the new Question of the week and look for yourself....

Evelyne

Ok, I will post some picture. I just have an hour and I am not sure how to do it , but I will try. Thanks for asking. 

Guest JBaymore

I posted pictures in my Gallery.

I am outraged!  Incensed.  This is horrible!  ;)  :D  :P  

I don't know what you were worried about with posting this kind of work, Marko....... nothing there that is "offensive" that I can fathom.

best,

.......................john

Archived