Is This Stand Okay For My Kiln?

Or, I think you could probably get away with a piece of tile backer board or "creteboard" on top of it, instead of metal. Metal of any kind can be rather pricey. Tile backer board or "creteboard" can cost as little as $5 for a 3 foot by 5 foot sheet.

Also, Tile backer board won't conduct heat the way metal will. I think more than anything, I'd be concerned about how close to your floor surface the kiln would still be. Unless you're putting your kiln on a nonflammable surface, such as tile or concrete, I'd be worried more about combustion than anything.

I would agree on the tile backer board but also would add that the stand needs to sit on a piece of that board as well. The photo shows a linoleum floor which will not work without a covering like backerboard.

Mark

You probably want 8" of clearance between floor and kiln bottom -- enough room to mount a vent fan, if so desired, or to give your cat a napping space.  But you need air circulation space, heat transfer, etc. and the stand in the picture is rather short and limits your future options. 

I agree with most here, but also point out that even though a portable kiln is convenient, not very stable. One roll over an object on the floor where the kiln got tipped over would be enough damage to result in $$ repairs. A good solid stand made for the brand of kiln, or a firebrick or cinder block stand would be a much better solution to the problem. As to insulation, I often use an old bottom/lid under my kiln as extra insulation.

Archived