This Old House...gingerbread Style

I thought I would give people a view of my gingerbread church.  The tile are all on. I have spent the last two days making 10  1.5" x 4.5" stained glass panels and two 2.5" round window panels.  I have to put the lights in the sucker and finish out the ground.   I'm slow at it.  I have transferred the church onto a 30" x 26" piece of maple plywood.   The thing weighs about 35 lbs.  Next time I'm going smaller.

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to dress it up.

Jed

post-26461-0-51091700-1433570013_thumb.jpgpost-26461-0-24930200-1433570033_thumb.jpg

post-26461-0-51091700-1433570013_thumb.jpg

post-26461-0-24930200-1433570033_thumb.jpg

well, you certainly know how to build!  how do you plan to use it?  what are its measurements?  what led you to build it? what are the windows?

still amazed and cannot think of any improvements except maybe a bell in the steeple and some bushes at the foundation?

Min, yes this is the one for the hospital charity.  Hopefully it will be auctioned for a good price.

It measures 15 inches to the top of the roof line and 23 inches to the top of the speeple. The base was 27 inches long and 24 inches wide prior to firing. It made it through the firing with just sagging of the roof and a few cracks on the base.   It now is about 23 inches long and 21 inches wide.  There are about 1,000 tiles on the roof. The windows are made from flexible plastic sheeting, painted with stain glass paint.  I plan to put dollhouse lights inside and an MP3 player with chimes, bells.

It has been a bigger project than I ever imagined.

Thanks everyone,

Jed

Min, yes this is the one for the hospital charity.  Hopefully it will be auctioned for a good price.

It measures 15 inches to the top of the roof line and 23 inches to the top of the speeple. The base was 27 inches long and 24 inches wide prior to firing. It made it through the firing with just sagging of the roof and a few cracks on the base.   It now is about 23 inches long and 21 inches wide.  There are about 1,000 tiles on the roof. The windows are made from flexible plastic sheeting, painted with stain glass paint.  I plan to put dollhouse lights inside and an MP3 player with chimes, bells.

It has been a bigger project than I ever imagined.

Thanks everyone,

Jed

I thought the sagging roof was part of the look. I think it adds to it if anything. Makes it look very whimsical and organic. I think I much prefer it over a straight roof tbh.  It is a masterpiece. I hope everything keeps going well for you with it. Stuff like that has to be so scary to fire. I hope it earns a great amount for the organization.

That's a really beautiful piece of work Jed, and an example of meticulous hand building. Congratulations. I wouldn't add anything to it. For me it's a church in winter time, with snow on the window sills and on the floor outside. I hope it get auctioned to a very high price.

Evelyne

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I like the pipe organ windows, for the organ loft?

The steeple seems a little stark in comparison to the rest of the gingerbread, maybe some of that pink trim like on the roof, diamond patterned roof tiles in the colors of the necco wafer roof? Why stop now?

Very nice slip trailing, too!

Archived