Replicating old porcelain mosaic tile

post-6407-13121267969148_thumb.jpgHello I'm new to this ceramic arts community. My background is in the unit masonry (Brick, Block, Stone) construction and reconstruction business. We have been asked attempt to replicate a very old porcelain mosaic tile in two basic colors. The two tile colors are mottled and are basically tan base/brown,gray and bone colored specs and a red with similar mottled and specs. The are four basic shapes and sizes. The majority size is 2-3/16"x 2-3/16" sq. in the tan base color, lesser amounts of 1-1/8"x 1-1/8" sq in a checkerboard pattern with tan and reds. Also some bull nose caps approximately 2-1/2" x 5" and bull nose corners.

Does anyone out there have any information to pass along about any methods of replicating this tile, even with the use of faux painting or some form of printing the replacement tiles or any methods at all.

Tileless in Fort Worth,

O.D. Millerpost-6407-13121266611662_thumb.jpg

post-6407-13121267969148_thumb.jpgHello I'm new to this ceramic arts community. My background is in the unit masonry (Brick, Block, Stone) construction and reconstruction business. We have been asked attempt to replicate a very old porcelain mosaic tile in two basic colors. The two tile colors are mottled and are basically tan base/brown,gray and bone colored specs and a red with similar mottled and specs. The are four basic shapes and sizes. The majority size is 2-3/16"x 2-3/16" sq. in the tan base color, lesser amounts of 1-1/8"x 1-1/8" sq in a checkerboard pattern with tan and reds. Also some bull nose caps approximately 2-1/2" x 5" and bull nose corners.

Does anyone out there have any information to pass along about any methods of replicating this tile, even with the use of faux painting or some form of printing the replacement tiles or any methods at all.

Tileless in Fort Worth,

O.D. Millerpost-6407-13121266611662_thumb.jpg

Contact someone in the area from the texas Clayart Association. You could post it directly at "info@Texasclay.org" , I think the best way would be to dry out some colored porcelain slip, dry and grind it up, and sprinkle the similar colors onto the surface of the porcelain and embed it with a roller. Cut the tiles to the right size to accommodate the shrinkage. If this is a restoration project and you don't need a room's worth, it shouldn't be too difficult. I know there are excellent tile artists in Austin and maybe Dallas area. Using a local person would be easier for both you and the ceramic artist.

Marcia

Great advice Marcia. I would also recommend a Google search to find other tile artists who specialize in reproductions and ask for advice.

One of the challenges is definitely color since some of those old glazes contained lead which created certain hues that cannot be easily duplicated.

Thanks Marcia and Chris. Marcia upon your advice I just emailed info@texasclay.com. Hopefully I will get some help from this source. The total quantity of replacement is less than 100 s.f.

Clay , i've been trying google searches but with limited useful results. I've been using queries such as "custom replication porcelain mosaic tile" . Do you have any specific search suggestions?

O.D. Miller

Thanks Marcia and Chris. Marcia upon your advice I just emailed info@texasclay.com. Hopefully I will get some help from this source. The total quantity of replacement is less than 100 s.f.

Clay , i've been trying google searches but with limited useful results. I've been using queries such as "custom replication porcelain mosaic tile" . Do you have any specific search suggestions?

O.D. Miller

Have you tried the Tile Heritage Association? They might be able to lead you to restoraters.

Marcia

Archived