What music do you listen to in the studio?

I am just curious is anyone has specific songs, or types of music they like to listen to while working in the studio? I remember that when I fist did pottery in Japan my instructor always had music playing in the background. So what do you listen to?

Josh

I have a very large assortment on my Ipod...Gypsy Kings, Segovia, classical guitar, Buena Vista Social Club, to old Rock and Roll. It depends on the mood and what I am working on. I like jazz too. Some Miles Davis, and blue grass...etc. I also like quiet. I listen to the birds outside my studio and if I don't recognize one, I will go see what it is. I spotted a pair of Love Birds (seriously) because their call was unfamiliar. I have a lot of exotic birds in my yard. Sometimes the instrumental segments make my fingers move in rhythm to the sounds.

Marcia

I am just curious is anyone has specific songs, or types of music they like to listen to while working in the studio? I remember that when I fist did pottery in Japan my instructor always had music playing in the background. So what do you listen to?

Josh

I usually have the tv on shows that I have already seen they are just back ground noise, it has music channels but I don't really like the mixes. I just really like local FM old rock and roll stations, disc jockey's, weather and news. My radio from my shop was donated to our emergency shelter supplies, after the Joplin tornado I stocked the basement. Back in the 60's my high school pottery teacher played the Beatles and Cream and it was rumored that he smoked Mary Jane in his pipe during class. Denice

None right now. Last week some of the neighborhood teenage trash broke into my studio and took my ipod, docker ,and beer. Left the beer bottles in the pasture, closed the doors behind them. Police took fingerprints off the beer bottles, but only got partials.angry.gif All that equipment and all they wanted was the ipod.

Josh

I think the last couple of recordings by Ali Farke Toure and Toumani Diabate are some of the best music I have ever heard. If you want something a little more intense, try anything by Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn. Old time sring bands as well as some blues are also in the mix. Since my local public radio station dumped classical music for talk, the classics don't get on as much.

Anything that is background and soothingly rythmic... some jazz, some classical, some new age. I'm not looking for a mental distraction while my hands do what they've done a thousand times before. The feel of the clay moving to the rythmic sounds of the wheel makes it's own music, don't ya think? :D

I listen to a station called Garbage Panda. It's on free Nexus internet radio. It plays Surf, Punk, Rockabilly and the occasional old old blues and some swingin standards, Sinatra and Julie London.

I also have Sirius so I listen to similar music and there, but more main stream. The Garage channel on there is a good "go to station". I have to listen to music while I'm in my basement studio.

A couple years ago there was a a wolf spider (N. America's biggest spider) in there and I didn't go down there for a year. I'm back at making pottery and I believe if another one gets in, the music will keep it hiding and out of site!

Josh

Rock works fine for throwing, oddly I'd rather have soul or blues when I trim, it seems to suit the rhythm better! If I am doing production I get caught up on the latest info from NPR.

Melinda in Vermont

Josh

Rock works fine for throwing, oddly I'd rather have soul or blues when I trim, it seems to suit the rhythm better! If I am doing production I get caught up on the latest info from NPR.

Melinda in Vermont

I listen to INDUSTRIAL DANCE Music.... it keeps me lively.

Josh. when I am playing with clay, quilting, painting and doing dishes, I read. Well, almost read. I listen to books on tape. I order on line from the library, pick them up from the book mobile which comes once a month. so i get a few. I have "read" almost everything at least once and our library was short of listening material and the librarian says she only gets about $1000 a year for new materials and cd books are from $65 to $130 each. I found a place online that sells used books on cd. I bought 17 (of the kind I like to read) for $110 and donated them to the library. (I tried just sitting down and reading a real book, but then I can't be IN my clay)

Josh. when I am playing with clay, quilting, painting and doing dishes, I read. Well, almost read. I listen to books on tape. I order on line from the library, pick them up from the book mobile which comes once a month. so i get a few. I have "read" almost everything at least once and our library was short of listening material and the librarian says she only gets about $1000 a year for new materials and cd books are from $65 to $130 each. I found a place online that sells used books on cd. I bought 17 (of the kind I like to read) for $110 and donated them to the library. (I tried just sitting down and reading a real book, but then I can't be IN my clay)

Celia Thanks for the great idea, sounds better than listening to reruns on the tv, I gave up reading books because I was a compulsive reader may be I can listen to them. Denice

I'm fortunate that my local NPR station plays classical music all day Sunday-Friday. Saturdays I listen to the NPR talk shows (from Car Talk to American Life) and Prarie Home Companion. If I'm in the studio at night my jazz CDs come out--Brubeck's my favorite, but I like anything that's jazzy or blue.

If I'm trowing for fun I'll listen to something with a good beat; rock, techno, dance music, disco, etc

Throwing with purpose; the killers, florence and the machine, kings of leon, train, maybe a little MJ, classic alternative from 80's/90's

sculpting; something relaxing, Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole, Cat Stevens, John Denver, Simon and Garfunkle, Jim Croche, jason Mraz, oldies, the soundtrack to Nacho Libre,

When I'm tired of music I'll put on the tv as background noise, usually episodes of Seinfeld, The Office, or The Big Bang Theory.

I agree with the post that say it depends whats being made. Most of the time I stick with the blues some Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Bukka White, Clapton, The Stones but when I am making "love" lanterns Ill put on some Ray Charles or Marvin Gay. If i am just working around the studio processing clay or mixing glazes then I go for some Left Lane Cruiser, Rory Gallagher, or ZZ Top. Really any think that keeps me grooving it seems like some days if I'm not really feeling up to working after I put the right song on and start throwing I get my second wind its funny how music motivates.

Anthony

It really depends on what I am working on, even the weather. But I have love birds in my studio and they love classical and opera music, so that is the default. I also have a DVD player in my studio and often watch Ceramics DVD's while working.

Books on tape downloaded for free from the library. I especially like Jane Austen and the woman who reads them has a very calm voice.

Sometimes I have no added sounds at all. But when I do I keep the atmosphere lovely, beautiful and of good report, so that my vessels will reflect that.

I play classical music or I listen to Christian radio. Sometimes I play a movie I have seen many times before so I don't have to watch it, just listen.

Whatever we let our ears hear and let our eyes see will be reflected in our work. How we feel and how we think will also show up in our work. Some sounds can cause chaos and reach a negative area in our spirits just as some words can. If we keep it sweet and keep it quiet we can better understand what we are doing creatively.

One interesting creative technique I do with students is for them to have clear instructions for a project and all of the tools they need in front of them so that there will be no distractions like getting up to get something. There are no sounds of any kind around, no talking, and no music; no nothing so that they can ‘feel’ what the creative process is like. Try it and feel what I mean.

Books on tape from library; or stream BBC Radio 4 and Radio Four Plus. I like to hear Afternoon Play on BBC 4, or just listen to a great variety of programming from BBC. Beats NPR with its endless looping and mish-mash of programming. In our workshop/galleryDianthus Ceramics in Stratford upon Avon,UK we played anything from Getz to fado, Satie to Mendlesson, Glass to Reich, Parto. We avoided the heavy rockers. Didn't want to "scare" the customers.

Have you tried Audible.com? You get 1 book a month for $15 and discounts on additional books. I've found our public library has limited selection and great demand. These are digital downloads you own, so you'll need a media player to listen to it like an Android phone, iPhone, iPod, etc.

Josh

Josh,

I love to work with music. For the most part I like classic music, and love opera. However, at times, I also play Lady Gaga music. I think it will depend on how you feel that day. Good lick with your listening!!!

On my ipod docking station, using my iPhone, I listen to Pandora radio. My favorite station for the pottery studio is " John Williams (guitar.)" All classical guitar and oh, is it ever lovely. My other Pandora stations range from Lady Gaga to Willie Nelson and even Gregorian Chants. Love that Pandora.

Archived