Carving Tools

I sometimes use tiny flathead screwdrivers to clean up small areas when carving. These screwdrivers are designed for repairing computers, therefore you buy them in electronics stores, not hardware stores. They do come as small as 1.5 mm.

Mea

I sometimes use tiny flathead screwdrivers to clean up small areas when carving. These screwdrivers are designed for repairing computers, therefore you buy them in electronics stores, not hardware stores. They do come as small as 1.5 mm.

Mea

Ask your dentist or dental hygienist if they have any old tools they would like to sell. I love these small tools since many of them are made to work from the right and left.

Bison tools also makes wonderful carving tools, but they are expensive.

I need really, really small carving tools for detail work I'm carving on boxes. Does anyone know where I can get perhaps 1.5mm flat, scraper type tools? Thank you...

You can get a small set of screwdrivers that you use in automotive and electrical repair, they are about the same size at the eyeglass repair screwdriver. but more variety in widths of blades. They probably cost between 5 to 10$ for the set we use to find them on the dollar table. Denice

I need really, really small carving tools for detail work I'm carving on boxes. Does anyone know where I can get perhaps 1.5mm flat, scraper type tools? Thank you...

Dental tools are great. Two thoughts: 1. Dentists and Dental Assistants constantly renew their tools. You may be able to get the discards, which work just fine for clay. 2. They use a large assortment of sizes and slightly differing shapes, so do not discard any offers because the tools look similar at first sight. You'd be surprised how the differences can help.

Another source are old -- two generations or more in some cases, so look in second hand shops, etc. -- manicure sets. I have one from the 50's which is perfect for my use. These sets have several items, but my favorite is a plastic (even older were bone) handled cuticle cleaners, with soft pointed, slightly curved and cupped ends.

And don't forget quarter inch dowels, which can form good ends with a little bit of carving/sanding. Yes, they do not last long, but are easily shaped, sharpened or even replaced -- and cheap.

Enjoy and hope these help.

I have used small dental type tools for years, and then tried something different because of specific shape needs. I have lately purchased bamboo chopsticks, and carefully carved them to shapes with rounded and beveled edges. I have found I can make the perfect tool for the situation and at the same time they hold up well and are resharpened easily.

I have used small dental type tools for years, and then tried something different because of specific shape needs. I have lately purchased bamboo chopsticks, and carefully carved them to shapes with rounded and beveled edges. I have found I can make the perfect tool for the situation and at the same time they hold up well and are resharpened easily.

Perhaps some tools on this site can be of use.

tiranti

I haven't looked there in ages and now I want to buy one of each:D

Love some of the tips in this thread. I do a lot of carving on porcelain surfaces and I will def try the bamboo chopsticks.

I've used dental tools for years, and they didn't cost me anything. Go to your dentist (have family members contact their dentists, too) and ask if they have any broken tools they'd be willing to give you. I've found that most dentists have a drawer full of tools that have one end broken off so it's been tossed aside. Even the broken ones can be reshaped on a bench grinder to make a "new" tool. If you hit a bonanza, make sure the generous giver gets a mug or something else where you've actually used one or more of the tools.

tiranti

Love some of the tips in this thread. I do a lot of carving on porcelain surfaces and I will def try the bamboo chopsticks.

The mark carved in porcelain with a bamboo tool has an almost polished smoothness.

tiranti

The mark carved in porcelain with a bamboo tool has an almost polished smoothness.

Nice, that sounds like a very good result :)

Going to the studio now and will try to pick up some bamboo sticks on the way.

Perhaps the thread starter has the same problem as I do? To get the deepest surfaces of the carving smooth. (Not sure I make sense with my limited english)

tiranti

Nice, that sounds like a very good result :)

Going to the studio now and will try to pick up some bamboo sticks on the way.

Perhaps the thread starter has the same problem as I do? To get the deepest surfaces of the carving smooth. (Not sure I make sense with my limited english)

You're english syntax is fine. Your problem is the little burrs and rough edges that occur when using a sharp tool to carve deep areas in a relief. Am I correct?

• 3 weeks later...

You can get a small set of screwdrivers that you use in automotive and electrical repair, they are about the same size at the eyeglass repair screwdriver. but more variety in widths of blades. They probably cost between 5 to 10$ for the set we use to find them on the dollar table. Denice

Where did you look on harbor freight to find these?

Where did you look on harbor freight to find these?

Try this link:

http://www.harborfre...-set-34152.html

John

Archived