How do you guys protect your ware from the free-for-all kickball fest that is the postal service? I use the fatty industrial bubble wrap when I can find it, or regular bubble wrap with some squishy foam I found and/or peanuts. I put newspaper in as a last resort!

I also tend to sweat putting multiple items together. One time, all three pieces broke--how the heck USPS managed that, I will never know...but, hnngh.

I generally just use newspaper.  I wrap each piece with the paper, and if there is a handle, I wrap it loosely there, to provided some padding.

The bottom of the box gets a good layer of crumpled paper, then the wares in the middle, the sides and top then get more crumpled paper.  

I have sent many things this way, and never had any breaks.

I use whats free

I collect it and store it when I see it-I use all the below items

It can be bubble wrap

Corrugated cardboard

Heavy thick paper wrap

styro Peanuts

rigid  solid foam in various thicknesses

For me wrapping many layers of bubble takes up to much space as I am usually shipping mulitple items.

The key element is make sure they cannot touch one another and are tight in box so when thrown they survive.

I double box all shopments

Only have issues around the holiday season-so I choose not to ship after thanksgiving-I have a web page on just this very thing.

Mark

For items like mugs and yunomis, I wrap in newspaper, and then take a strip of cardboard a few inches wider than the object.  I wrap the cardboard around the object so that there are a couple layers of cardboard around it, with space at top and bottom, which I fill with newspaper.  In essence, this is a form of double boxing that takes less space than conventional double boxing.

For items like mugs and yunomis, I wrap in newspaper, and then take a strip of cardboard a few inches wider than the object.  I wrap the cardboard around the object so that there are a couple layers of cardboard around it, with space at top and bottom, which I fill with newspaper.  In essence, this is a form of double boxing that takes less space than conventional double boxing.

Ray I do the same thing except I do not use newspaper I just make the cardboard wider and fold in the ends and tape.(buy 2"tape by the case under 2$ roll then put these into an inner box with stiff rigid foam around this box between boxes-super light.The idea is less space but pots that are protected and will not move. While trying to keep the package light.

I do more shipping than I wish I had to-shipping makes me grumpy as I never get paid enough for it-so I'm fast at it.

Just shipped a Large box to Florida today via UPS.

mark

I am am shipping peanut hoarder. I have huge yard size bags full of them, and I'm not talking 1 or 2, I must have close to a dozen stacked in my garage, under the stairs, behind cabinets in the studio, etc. I even have one of those big dispenser things like the shipping companies use hanging from my ceiling. I refuse to pay twice for packing peanuts, once when I buy something and then again if I have to buy more to ship orders out, so every one of them gets stored for future use. My husband only complains when the mountain attacks him as he gets in or out of the car. So there now you all know my awful secret...l packing peanut hoarder... I wonder if there is a support group?

Oh and I bubble wrap, double box and peanut my orders, so far so good with no breakage.

T

I am am shipping peanut hoarder. I have huge yard size bags full of them, and I'm not talking 1 or 2, I must have close to a dozen stacked in my garage, under the stairs, behind cabinets in the studio, etc. I even have one of those big dispenser things like the shipping companies use hanging from my ceiling. I refuse to pay twice for packing peanuts, once when I buy something and then again if I have to buy more to ship orders out, so every one of them gets stored for future use. My husband only complains when the mountain attacks him as he gets in or out of the car. So there now you all know my awful secret...l packing peanut hoarder... I wonder if there is a support group?

Oh and I bubble wrap, double box and peanut my orders, so far so good with no breakage.

T

There is posting on the NC Clay Club blog for free packing peanuts . . . already bagged. Spruce Pine, NC. (Also two nice looking gas kilns for sale).

I am a double-boxer (very similar to what @rayaldridge recommends...just recently switching to double-corrugated outer boxes.  Inner box is packed so that items cannot move. The space between the inner and outer box is just a shock-absorber and is filled with whatever packing, fill material that I happen to have on-hand.

-Paul

I actually posted how I pack my chalices and patens to send to sites all over the US on my blog recently. Bubble wrap and popcorn!

According to my husband who works in shipping logistics, using actual popped corn is ill-advised, especially if you're shipping over any distance. There are rodents in any warehouse anywhere, and they can and will chew through the box to get to such a high-value food source. If they eat your popcorn, there goes your cushioning. Once your box is chewed, it's compromised structurally and is easier to crush, even if it's only nibbled a little bit.

Also, no one wants mouse poop in with their pottery shipment.

I think Pres uses popcorn as he likes to snack on it while packing pots. My guess is he spilled a bowl into the box years ago  by mistake and it worked for him and he has been popping and snacking at every order to ship.Just a guess?

Or it could be he wants to feed those rodents in the warehouses?A one man do not let the mouse starve campaign to fatten up all wayward mouse?

I vote the spilled bowl into the box of pots.

Mark

Have not had problems with mice etc in nearly 30 years. Only had one grouping of pots break, but then my son packed them when I was away. I do not use the popcorn for anything overseas or out of country. As most of my boxes are delivered USPS in 2-4 days, I really don't think they have time to sit in a warehouse long. Sealed boxes have little in the way of problems. If I end up with problems, then I will change the situation. For now, for me, it works.

Best,

Pres

If you're using popcorn to ship over the border you will likely have problems as it is a food product and will need to be inspected by the FDA.

I wrap everything in foam sheets first (I wrap extra little pieces around delicate areas like legs and handles), then small bubble wrap (3/16" thick) and then big bubble wrap (5/16" thick or bigger). Then I usually put a layer of peanuts on the bottom and top. My general rule is to leave 2" between the actual pottery and the walls of the box, with padding in between. It might seem excessive but I have found that if I ask the question "can I get away with this amount of packaging without it breaking" the answer is probably no. I want to feel safe dropping the box on the floor myself, because that's what the post will probably do!

For boxes with multiples, I usually use the biggest bubble wrap in a continuous piece to wrap all the pieces together so that there are big bubbles between everything but also that they aren't shifting together. Everything is taped or saran wrapped (not crazy-tight, just enough to not let the wrap shift out of place).

Popcorn ... that's really interesting.    Took me a couple of posts to figure out you were referencing the real thing.   I was thinking "packing peanuts" ... now there is an alternative as in "packing popcorn".  I was reminded of the time when I got a truck load of those plaster columns from Mexico and an employee came into my office saying "they are packed in sweaters".  I was thinking it was some unfamiliar form of packing material and when I looked ... it was sweaters ... the kind you wear.

For ceramics, I would double box.  But I have never shipped pottery.  I ship jewelry in priority mail boxes.

Never received anything packed in popcorn and would have been surprised by it.  But whatever works.  

(I love reading about something like this ...opening my mind to new alternatives)

way, way back in prehistoric days, (before personal computers) the Pieta  was shipped to the united states for an exhibition.  it was packed in popcorn.  the real thing.  there was a story about it in a magazine called Life.    

i think someone decided to produce fake popcorn for packing delicate items and a new industry was born.  the results can be found in Pugaboo's studio, garage, etc.

Oldlady- ha ha ha. Very funny

But True so true.

We had an avalanche this week and had to send in the rescue pugs. Realized they are very bad at rescues and just want to play in the pile and make it even harder to clean up and restack the bags. I had the fun of cleaning up peanuts throughout the studio as they chased each other merrily around, it's a good thing they are so cute even with peanuts clinging to their fur. <grin>

T

Archived