New To Ceramics

Hey guys, I'm doing pottery next semester and I wanna be well prepared before. Can you link me to some blogs or online resources about pottery and ceramics? Or any starter tips at all?

Get to the library and read every book and periodical about ceramics that you can get your hands on. Watch videos here at CAD and on Youtube. Go for nature walks. Relax.

Hey guys, I'm doing pottery next semester and I wanna be well prepared before. Can you link me to some blogs or online resources about pottery and ceramics? Or any starter tips at all?

Go to museums and looks at pots in collections. Look at the differences in Pottery from around the world. ALso this site has Ceramic Arts Daily. Very good resource for technical information.

As Lucille says, read books and look at the photos. Get a grasp of the huge history of Ceramics that parallels humanity.

Marcia

i have always learned a lot by watching other potters.

i really like simon leach's youtube uploads. he has loads of info, check out especially the wedging and kneading ones, and whatever else haha:

simon leach youtube channel

i have also always loved watching legend warren mackenzie make pots and talk about pottery (come to think of it, simon is also kind of a legend):

best,

phill

Hey guys, I'm doing pottery next semester and I wanna be well prepared before. Can you link me to some blogs or online resources about pottery and ceramics?

The Kiln Pointers newsletter dates back to 2002. Here is the entire collection:

http://www.paragonwe...ln_Pointers.cfm

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Everything listed above, the internet is a vast source, start with basic search and go from there as you find pieces and techniques you are interested in.

YOUTUBE is where i'd start. They have lots of videos of professionals like the ones mentioned above, who make it so easy it is almost frustrating. But they also have lots of videos of not so professionals that can be encouraging, but not all that instructional. Have fun learning. I check youtube often for new videos or when I am trying to figure something out.

Guest alabamapotter

I'm doing pottery next semester. Can you link me to some online resources about pottery and ceramics? Or any starter tips at all?

Make sure the clay you use for throwing is softer than the clay you handbuild with.

Know what you're going to make BEFORE you sit to throw. Make a list.

When you begin on the wheel, have an example... Xerox, photo, drawing, or 3-D of what you plan to make.

Throw a "general" form of what you what then shape it. Trim, to give the final shape, and detail.

Sign and date everything, including ash trays and animal food dishes.

Cut your losses early.... When you go from making something to trying to salvage something, you're

wasting valuable time. Make lots of bowl forms and lots of cylinder forms. Try different amounts of

clay, ie 2 lbs, 4 lbs, 3 lbs.

Watch the youtube videos.... and learn form the returning students as well. Try throwing one day and

using lab time to trim them the next day.

Try examining Colonial pottery, particularly the late 17th century and early 18th century vessels.

Learn how to pull a handle and make a few more than you need when attaching them. Always score and slip joined pieces.

Write down what glazes you put on what piece. Someone will ask you, if it comes out awsome or awful.

Get to class early and leave late. Make items for your parents and family and have as much

fun as you can stand.

alabamapotter

Guest HerbNorris

At a time when art curricula are being dropped or budgets cut, many are protesting at the possible elimination of art from our schools. Therefore, I find it funny that no-one has suggested that you watch, and listen to, your POTTERY INSTRUCTOR, ( the one that is actually teaching at your school!) and any teaching assistants that might be around. Ask for help if you need it, as we all did, and still do from time to time.

A little more information would be helpful, like what level you are learning, what kind of techniques you will be learning, or want to learn, and how serious you are, or might be, about ceramics.

Archived