Advice For Making Extruder Dies, Please

I have a Scott Creek 5". It came with 1 blank aluminum plate. I haven't yet found a source for aluminum close. Have you used any wood materials or other?

A book I have recommends plywood, but wouldn't that have rough edges?

Does anyone use other companies dies in their Scott Creek "

I chose that brand because of their good system for rejoining clay in their hollow die system. But North Star makes great dies. Could I use NS dies in a S C extruder ? They are 4", can I just drop them in over a 4" S C square die for support ?

I have a Scott Creek 5". It came with 1 blank aluminum plate. I haven't yet found a source for aluminum close. Have you used any wood materials or other?

A book I have recommends plywood, but wouldn't that have rough edges?

Does anyone use other companies dies in their Scott Creek "

I chose that brand because of their good system for rejoining clay in their hollow die system. But North Star makes great dies. Could I use NS dies in a S C extruder ? They are 4", can I just drop them in over a 4" S C square die for support ?

I'm not familiar with the Scott Creek extruder, I have have a home made one. But when I wanted to make a elaborate die that would be easy to cut but strong I tried many different plastics, then I tried a plastic cutting board. It was wonderful to work with easy to drill and shape and it has two u-bolt in the center bracing the pattern, It was a large tile molding piece, I have extruded 150 lbs of clay through it, no problems still looks like new. I looked into having it custom made but that was quite expensive and this material is so easy to work with. You probably need some basic wood working tools like a cheap coping saw, drill, and assorted files to smooth and shape, to make your own dies. I bought the small board at Walmart for 4$ and cut 6 blanks out of it and bought the u-bolts at Lowes, I basically followed the directions in the book on extruding I got from the Ceramic Monthly's bookstore. Good Luck Denice Wichita, KS

My husband built my extruder, and he has made dies from aluminum, cabinet plywood, and plexiglass. He also has some made from thin-ish stainless steel, but that isn't an easy material to work with.

When he used the plywood, he started with 3/4" wood, and split it on the band saw to make it about 3/8" or a little less. It sands very smooth.

Archived