Need Help With Luster

spring

Hi Everyone,

Hoping I can get some help with a problem i've been having with my luster. After firing to the proper temp, I sometimes get this halo of blue/black color around the luster. It kinda looks like when you have two different colors on the same shirt and one bleeds into the other. But instead of it bleeding gold luster, its blue-black. This has happened on porcelain and b mix with a cone 10 glaze. I noticed that if I let them sit for a while after painting and don't load them into the kiln right, away this happens.

Does anyone know what I can do for this to stop or what's causing this?

Thanks for looking

Hi Everyone,

Hoping I can get some help with a problem i've been having with my luster. After firing to the proper temp, I sometimes get this halo of blue/black color around the luster. It kinda looks like when you have two different colors on the same shirt and one bleeds into the other. But instead of it bleeding gold luster, its blue-black. This has happened on porcelain and b mix with a cone 10 glaze. I noticed that if I let them sit for a while after painting and don't load them into the kiln right, away this happens.

Does anyone know what I can do for this to stop or what's causing this?

Thanks for looking

Hello Spring

It is very hard to visualize an occurrence from the kiln without an image or more details. To give a meaningful answer it would be good to know your working methods, method of application, how you clean your brushes, firing temperature used, glaze type, kiln type (gas or electric), what you mean by proper temperature and any other relevant information. Lustre is a strange beast in that it does not always turn out the way we expect. Lustre is produced for the manufacturing industry which operate under very strict repeatable conditions. This is quite different to how we tend to operate as "studio potters" as some of us abandon any conformity in our working methods all together. In the end it is the particular combination of our working methods that inform our own expertise.

Having said all that I have to ask whether you are putting unfired lustre up against unfired lustre (by this I mean butting up to each other and touching). Certain lustres do not mix well with others and can cause a dark line where they intermix during the firing.. As a general rule I suggest that wet lustre should not touch or overlap other wet lustre colours until you are very sure of their interaction. Dirty brushes can also cause dirty lines for the same reason.

I would be happy to help you further if you could put up an image of the problem (preferably a close up).

Regards

Johanna

Archived