Kiln Wash Furniture?

i wouldn't bother washing my posts. i'm the only one firing my kilns right now, and though there is lots of student work in there i know everything that goes in and out. if you are in your own studio and you are in control of everything that goes in and out, i say don't worry about it (as long as you yourself are not doing anything too crazy). more than things sticking together a little bit i hate getting messy white specks all over my kilns and pots.

of course it depends on what kind of firing you are doing. washing is essential in soda/salt, somewhat desirable in wood, but not really necessary in regular reduction or electric. and the higher the temperature the more i would encourage washing - i am currently firing at 04 and have never had the posts stick to the shelves.

i should also note that i keep separate shelves for bisque and glaze firing. i never wash my bisque shelves, and they last forever with zero maintenance, and are never messy. i keep a good coat of kiln wash on my glaze shelves at all times.

Guest JBaymore

Do I need to put kiln wash on my kiln furniture? Thank you for you advice.

What kind of kiln do you fire? To what cone? What type of furniture do you use? Is this for your own use of a group studio? How long have you been doing clay?

All of those factors can make a difference in the recommendation.

best,

.......................john

Yes. I dip the ends of my stilts in a light kiln wash. This keeps them from sticking to the shelve when unloading. I have chipped pieces when a stuck post drops off a shelf as the shelf is being lifted out of the kiln.

Just a precautionary measure.

Marcia

• 5 months later...

I'm totally agree with ceramicfunamentalist that it depends on what kind of firing you are doing.Washing is essential in soda/salt, somewhat desirable in wood, but not really necessary in regular reduction or electric.The higher the temperature the more you would encourage washing.

I find the posts stick even in a normal reduction firing and even in an electric firing ^04 in classroom situations when some bit of glaze may be remaining on a post. I have been working in a shop at a University for the past semester and the posts are sticking. I have been going through them and grinding them clean, painting with kiln wash. It makes it easier to unload. Now if I could find something to keep the mud dabbers out of the post holes, the world would be perfect.

Marcia

Never on the sides in a normal firing because of flaking. However, I like to brush a coat on the ends just in case. It keeps them form sticking in the kiln if there is a run, or something else-like an overfiring - heaven forbid! I fire to Cone 6 in a completely manual kiln. Long 6 soak.

Never on the sides in a normal firing because of flaking. However, I like to brush a coat on the ends just in case. It keeps them form sticking in the kiln if there is a run, or something else-like an overfiring - heaven forbid! I fire to Cone 6 in a completely manual kiln. Long 6 soak.

I agree..only wash the ends.

Marcia

• 1 year later...

Archived