Beyond Clay

Well, this might seem out of place on this website but...............................

I can't help myself.

One of my biggest personal interests is horticulture (gardening) if you read my bio., so I can't help myself but to ask what drives you beyond clay?

For me it is Plants, plants, plants......I have (almost) a degree in ornamental horticulture and studied for many years the aesthetics of all types of gardens; be it Cacti, Tropical, Modern, Contemporary, French, English, Japanese, Bonsai, Native plant, Succulent, etc. I grew up around the Huntington Gardens of Pasadena, Ca. and have an especial influence by Cacti, Succulent and Caudiciform gardens. I spent many years creating gardens/collections for high budget clients and celebrities in the Los Angeles/Hollywood/Brentwood/Palos Verdes/Malibu areas. Some of my clients included television sensations in the hollywood hills, big wig lawyers, who, I must say were some of the best people I've ever met in this world, as well as really truly down to earth (HUGE) musicians who were some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. Recently for me it has become more tropical. And, as much time as I spend judging a new friend by what they value in their garden( I know that is a flaw), I still can't help but evaluate who someone is by what they collect horticulturally.

So this is why it drives me to write this question to all of you......................................BEYOND CERAMICS, WHAT IS IT THAT MAKES YOU TICK? For me it is gardens and plants., but what is it for you. I am mostly curious of deep obsessions that may be uncomfortable to discuss in the open, but let me remind you, mine is nowhere close to retreating.

Aloha and Mahalo for sharing.

Well, because I found clay at such an early age (14) my greatest love is clay. But there is also soccer. I never had much of an interest in it until I met my husband who is a former professional player. I go to many professional and college games, check stats/highlights, and all that good stuff but it's also work related since I'm a licensed soccer agent. You can look me up on the FIFA website. If you're not sure what it is (most people I meet aren't) think Jerry Maguire but for soccer.

Aside from clay and soccer the other passion I have is archeology. I am currently double majoring in ceramics and anthropology. Although I don't always have classes that are directly related to what I study, the research/lab work is always fascinating and sometimes fuels my ceramic work.

There is something about an artifact that hasn't been used or seen for hundreds, if not thousands of years, that is both intriguing and powerfull.

Thanks for the links Herb. I do love Bonsai, and a good bonsai pot isn't all that easy to make. Yeah, music. I do love music too.

Interesting that you are so drawn to archeology Spring, it's kinda like a treasure hunt for pottery. smile.gif

Thanks for the responses.

Well, this might seem out of place on this website but...............................

I can't help myself.

One of my biggest personal interests is horticulture (gardening) if you read my bio., so I can't help myself but to ask what drives you beyond clay?

For me it is Plants, plants, plants......I have (almost) a degree in ornamental horticulture and studied for many years the aesthetics of all types of gardens; be it Cacti, Tropical, Modern, Contemporary, French, English, Japanese, Bonsai, Native plant, Succulent, etc. I grew up around the Huntington Gardens of Pasadena, Ca. and have an especial influence by Cacti, Succulent and Caudiciform gardens. I spent many years creating gardens/collections for high budget clients and celebrities in the Los Angeles/Hollywood/Brentwood/Palos Verdes/Malibu areas. Some of my clients included television sensations in the hollywood hills, big wig lawyers, who, I must say were some of the best people I've ever met in this world, as well as really truly down to earth (HUGE) musicians who were some of the most hospitable people I've ever met. Recently for me it has become more tropical. And, as much time as I spend judging a new friend by what they value in their garden( I know that is a flaw), I still can't help but evaluate who someone is by what they collect horticulturally.

So this is why it drives me to write this question to all of you......................................BEYOND CERAMICS, WHAT IS IT THAT MAKES YOU TICK? For me it is gardens and plants., but what is it for you. I am mostly curious of deep obsessions that may be uncomfortable to discuss in the open, but let me remind you, mine is nowhere close to retreating.

Aloha and Mahalo for sharing.

My husband and I love historical homes and buildings, we have driven 100 miles several times to go on a tour. We restored a large historical home, doing the work ourselves sold it and then built a Spanish Mission house that I designed myself to reflect a older homes layout and nooks and crannies, no open concept here. I love plants but we have such bad soil and weather here it's a real struggle, so it's grasses, succulents and yuccas for me. My favorite plant right now is the red texas yucca which is actually a succulent, I love the movement of the long arching stems, the humming birds love it to. I could go on and on I see art and design in every thing. Denice Wichita KS

i guess i have eclectic interests. I play a lot of sports, especially ultimate frisbee which i'd play every day if i could. i try to spend at least four weeks a year backpacking/bicycle touring/camping, usually in pretty extreme wilderness locations/circumstances, although this year i will get nowhere close to that. i have spent _a_lot_ of time volunteering in the contemporary art world (on gallery boards, juries, etc.). i've been a very active advocate for bicycling and other forms of sustainable transportation, i even worked full time for a year as an activist, but i've tailed off on that one a little bit lately. between art galleries, bicycle advocacy groups and sports organizations i've probably founded or co-founded about 5 non-profits in the past 8 years. and i have a huge soft spot for video games, especially classic 1980s era video games (this takes up more time than i'm prepared to admit here).

• 2 weeks later...

I am inspired by nature and I love Montana, the wildlife, the invigorating power of nature found there. I think that is also why I am drawn to the Arts and Crafts movement sense of aesthetics. I really love the aesthetics of that period as represented in the architecture of Gaudi, and Montaner i Dominec in Barcelona and some of the places found in Vienna, Paris and Brussels. Nature was the key in that movement as a counterpart to the continuing industrialization in society. Travel also plays a big part as influences on my sensibilities.

Marcia,

I did a backpacking trip in Glacier NP, fresh out of high school, and still haven't found a more beautiful and wild NP in the U.S. That park is absolutely amazing. (Don't know if you are near to it or if you've been there, but that is my experience with Montana)

I loved that they had to show us all a short video on what to do if you encounter a grizzly bear......... it basically said "you could try this or you could try that, none of it has proven to work and in the end it probably doesn't matter cause you're screwed anyway. Now enjoy your stay in Glacier!"

Marcia,

I did a backpacking trip in Glacier NP, fresh out of high school, and still haven't found a more beautiful and wild NP in the U.S. That park is absolutely amazing. (Don't know if you are near to it or if you've been there, but that is my experience with Montana)

I loved that they had to show us all a short video on what to do if you encounter a grizzly bear......... it basically said "you could try this or you could try that, none of it has proven to work and in the end it probably doesn't matter cause you're screwed anyway. Now enjoy your stay in Glacier!"

I have been to the big island. I thought the town of Volcano was a cool place and reminded me very much of Cooke City and Silvergate near Yellowstone.

I am recently back from Yellowstone and the Beartooths. My favorite places in Montana mainly because they were close to Billings, my home for 31 years. I frequently went to Yellowstone, always took guests and visiting artists there. The Beartooth Highway is the most spectacular drive over high Mountain plateaus. If we were friend on Facebook, you could see pictures from my latest trip that include a grizzly swimming across a very fast Lamar River. The section from the NE entrance by Silvergate into Roosevelt Junction is the least crowded. From Silvergate to Red Lodge is over the Beartooth Highway. From Red Lodge to Billings is about 55 miles. It was the back yard by Montana standards.

I miss it a lot.

Marcia

I am recently back from Yellowstone and the Beartooths. My favorite places in Montana mainly because they were close to Billings, my home for 31 years. I frequently went to Yellowstone, always took guests and visiting artists there. The Beartooth Highway is the most spectacular drive over high Mountain plateaus. If we were friend on Facebook, you could see pictures from my latest trip that include a grizzly swimming across a very fast Lamar River. The section from the NE entrance by Silvergate into Roosevelt Junction is the least crowded. From Silvergate to Red Lodge is over the Beartooth Highway. From Red Lodge to Billings is about 55 miles. It was the back yard by Montana standards.

I miss it a lot.

Marcia

Love the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area. Beartooth highway is marvelous, went over it years ago to Billings. Lost brakes on my Taurus on the way down! Made it in lower gear and had to have them replaced in Billings. Taurus was always losing breaks!

After retirement as an art teacher I have been mostly driven by conquering the T2 Diabetes. I was diagnosed one month before retirement. I am handling it without drugs with diet and exercise. This includes biking and kayaking in the Fall, Spring and Summer. I also enjoy computer animation, watercolor, and drawing whenever I can. We used to camp from PA all over the east coast as far north as Newfoundland, and as far south as Florida. We have taken a motor home to Alaska and back, and hit quite a bit of the Rockies from Colorado to Montana. Pottery still remains my first love, as I seem to connect well with the wheel, and the feel of the clay-made a lot of mudpies when a kid!

Archived