Tried And True Glaze Recipes

kes

So I mixed up the floating blue cone 6 glaze and sprayed it on my bisque ware. This was a cone 5 B-Mix with grog clay body. Fired in an electric kiln, oxidation. The glaze turned out dark brown somewhat on the yellow side of brown.

I would appreciate suggestions for any adjustments to get the lovely blue color shown in the download.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. The Eggshell cone glaze turned out lovely the first time.

rolleyes.gif

This happened to me several times cause I also like to spray. I have found to apply with brush very tick toward top portion of object then thinning toward bottom. I usually apply three full coats then dab for some highlights. Also it does not work for me in a slow cool. Let kiln cool regularly. Let's see if anyone else chimes in.

This happened to me several times cause I also like to spray. I have found to apply with brush very tick toward top portion of object then thinning toward bottom. I usually apply three full coats then dab for some highlights. Also it does not work for me in a slow cool. Let kiln cool regularly. Let's see if anyone else chimes in.

Thanks! I will try it thicker next time and let you know the outcome.

K-

Floating blue is fussy ... I have not had success with it but can report what others say you are supposed to do.

Mix and sieve each time you use it to make sure it is well mixed.

Wet wipe your pots before glazing to take off dust.

Mentally count off seconds dipped to make sure you have a good coating.

You will have to do test tiles with your clay to see how long it takes.

• 6 months later...

As a self-taught (in slab consruction) noob 6 months into this...I was pretty happy with the way the cone 6 glaze turned out on this...my first slab-built pitcher...even if the glaze was applied too thick and ran...some of it ending up on the shelf.

Thanks for the tip of thicker on top, thinner on the bottom with the Floating blue. I definetely went overboard on my glaze app! However, i love glazes that RUN.

First dip....dipped the entire pitcher in Royal Blue. My thought here was to attempt to circumvent the "brown" that shows up when this glaze is applied to thinly.

Of course, I then went and dipped it in Floating Blue....twice. LOL.

I then took Antique Iron and, with a paintbrush....angled the pitcher slightly and dropped drops down the sides

I should have put feet on it....and all of my pitchers are now being constructed with a glaze catch/bottom/foot rather than flat bottomed.

I was able to grind the globs off the bottom and with the application of some silicone runner bumpers/feet...to get it to sit nice and flat and not scratch/bang the table/etc. when sat down.

Question: Does anyone use kiln paper? Is there any that is rated to cone 6 and above? Would definitely save me a stint behind the grinder or the threat of being told I will have to buy another shelf/etc...neither of which I enjoy, BTW.

This pitcher is about 9 inches tall...and 4-5 inches square at the bottom. Most of my other attempts are larger than this. (and still sitting as greenware til i get a kiln or talk the teacher into letting me fire them as "non-production" peices...even though there are a dozen or more sitting here..LOL)

I can always give them away and avoid the "sales" aspect, i suppose. In the end it's about my HEAD, not my wallet.

fun stuff though. Hopefully others will enjoy using them as much as I enjoy making them/learning/etc.

I just read a BUNCH of threads here on glazes and "food safe" and need to do far more research on all of this before proceeding. I don't want to make something that isn't safe to use.

THANKS for the info, all.

teardop

Archived