Buying An Electric Kiln

Have to take the bite and finally get my own electric kiln. I have had the luxury of using friends/colleagues kilns, but now's the time to purchase my own. I would like advice, which kind, etc. It would be perfect to buy a used one. Not sure how to go about that. Needs to be bigger than a test kiln, but not huge. Thanks in advance (Hope this is the right place to do this!)

Have to take the bite and finally get my own electric kiln. I have had the luxury of using friends/colleagues kilns, but now's the time to purchase my own. I would like advice, which kind, etc. It would be perfect to buy a used one.

The electrical capacity of your building may be a factor in determining the size kiln that you buy. If you already have a circuit for the kiln, find out the voltage and amperage to avoid buying a kiln that requires more amperage than is available. In most installations, you should also buy a vent system.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Have to take the bite and finally get my own electric kiln. I have had the luxury of using friends/colleagues kilns, but now's the time to purchase my own. I would like advice, which kind, etc. It would be perfect to buy a used one. Not sure how to go about that. Needs to be bigger than a test kiln, but not huge. Thanks in advance (Hope this is the right place to do this!)

There are many different kinds of kilns; kiln setter/timer operated, computerized controller operated, zoned, high fire, low fire, glass fire, and production kilns.

Check the ceramics magazines and look at the kiln ads as a starting point for your search. Many of the ceramic suppliers have comparison charts for kilns and other equipment as well. http://www.dickblick.com/categories/kilns/ has kilns from many manufacturers on their website as well as in their catalog showing specifications such as chamber size, electrical requirements, shipping weight and etc,.

Go to the websites of the kiln manufacturers’ and do your own comparisons search to determine which kiln is suitable for your needs. Be mindful of the electrical requirements and be sure you have the right voltage and amperage for the kiln you have chosen.

Realize kilns must be placed in a fire safe location. The floor must be either tile or concrete. Kiln emissions must be vented to the outside. Kilns also need to be sheltered from the weather such as rain, snow, extreme heat and cold.

If you buy a used kiln be sure to have the right kiln stand. Obtain the operation manual for the particular model you are purchasing. It is most important to have the manual for the kiln. And check with the kiln manufacturer to be sure parts are available for the model just in case.

Read the entire kiln manual and follow the directions in order to have successful firings.

Guest HerbNorris

As a starting point, I would ask you to think back to firing in your friends and collegues kilns. Then consider these questions :

1. Operation - Did you operate the kilns, or just watch them do it? If YOU operated them, how did they "feel" to you? Did the operation of the kiln feel "right" to you, easy to understand, or have features that you liked and used?

2. Size - Were the kilns mostly full or only partly so? This will give you a ballpark idea for the size you might need for the next few years.

3. Repairs - Another important point might be the maintenance/repair aspects of a kiln, cause they're like cars, they all need it sooner or later!

Will you do the maintenance/repairs, or is there someone you know that can do them for you? If not, you might check to see if there are kiln repair services in your area, and what brands they service. Otherwise, you will be stuck; and when do kilns break? Right before, or in the middle of a big or important project. (the relays on our kiln went out just as my wife was starting an important commission - luckily I was able to replace them in short order.) this might help you narrow down your slection.

4. Cone - Do you intend to fire to cone 04, 6 or 10? If you think you might want to go to cone 10, now or in the future, then that will help you narrow it down further.

5. Your electrical system - You may need to upgrade your system depending on the type of kiln or placement of it. A kiln in your living area might require less upgrading than if you seek to place it in a detached garage or other outbuilding. Or you may have a great electrical system already in place, only you know that!

I would think that if you buy something from the top three or four manufacturers, you will be okay, if you want to buy new. If you want to buy used, check into parts availability BEFORE you buy it, because a "bargain" kiln that breaks and can't be fixed is no real bargain.

Lastly, there is no "best" kiln; they are tools like all the rest of the thing we use, some like L&L, some would never own one, some are Skutt advocates, others abhor them, and it goes on and on. It reminds me of the Ford/Chevrolet car feud that still goes on to some extent, in the US today.

Anyway, just a few ideas I thought of that I thought I would pass along, I hope there is some food for thought in there, and that you have fun getting a kiln. It's exciting, isn't it?!

As a starting point, I would ask you to think back to firing in your friends and collegues kilns. Then consider these questions :

1. Operation - Did you operate the kilns, or just watch them do it? If YOU operated them, how did they "feel" to you? Did the operation of the kiln feel "right" to you, easy to understand, or have features that you liked and used?

2. Size - Were the kilns mostly full or only partly so? This will give you a ballpark idea for the size you might need for the next few years.

3. Repairs - Another important point might be the maintenance/repair aspects of a kiln, cause they're like cars, they all need it sooner or later!

Will you do the maintenance/repairs, or is there someone you know that can do them for you? If not, you might check to see if there are kiln repair services in your area, and what brands they service. Otherwise, you will be stuck; and when do kilns break? Right before, or in the middle of a big or important project. (the relays on our kiln went out just as my wife was starting an important commission - luckily I was able to replace them in short order.) this might help you narrow down your slection.

4. Cone - Do you intend to fire to cone 04, 6 or 10? If you think you might want to go to cone 10, now or in the future, then that will help you narrow it down further.

5. Your electrical system - You may need to upgrade your system depending on the type of kiln or placement of it. A kiln in your living area might require less upgrading than if you seek to place it in a detached garage or other outbuilding. Or you may have a great electrical system already in place, only you know that!

I would think that if you buy something from the top three or four manufacturers, you will be okay, if you want to buy new. If you want to buy used, check into parts availability BEFORE you buy it, because a "bargain" kiln that breaks and can't be fixed is no real bargain.

Lastly, there is no "best" kiln; they are tools like all the rest of the thing we use, some like L&L, some would never own one, some are Skutt advocates, others abhor them, and it goes on and on. It reminds me of the Ford/Chevrolet car feud that still goes on to some extent, in the US today.

Anyway, just a few ideas I thought of that I thought I would pass along, I hope there is some food for thought in there, and that you have fun getting a kiln. It's exciting, isn't it?!

@ Herb: nice post. Many of the things you bring up are the real-life questions that I ask people when they ask me about which kiln to buy. I especially like your point about the 'best' kiln. My typical answer is: "The best kiln is the one that does what YOU need it to do consistently, reliably, and safely. One that you understand how to operate, can get support for when you need it, and that stands up to the abuse that you put on it". Its a pretty vague answer, but its the only *real* one that I can give to such a broad question.

@ Arnold: Spot-on as always, my friend.

@ Ms. Kathleen: Its an exciting time for you...FINALLY time to have that studio at home. Make sure that you talk to your local kiln dealer. Merely purchasing a kiln from the lowest-bidder tends to get support and service to match; that is to say- NONE AT ALL. My suggestion, and I'll admit up front that I'm biased, is to work with someone local (or as local as possible). Get to know your local supplier. Take into account the amount of help they have (or will) be giving you as you make this journey in clay. Make sure that you ask the same questions of every dealer you speak to. If a dealer won't take the time to answer your questions when you are trying to buy a kiln, they certainly won't be around to answer them after; and therefore don't deserve your money. Good luck and happy hunting.

Archived