Whitest Lowfire Claybody?

Hey everyone, I'm looking for the whitest lowfire claybody available. I use Laguna's Frost Porcelain and I love the whiteness, but I need a lowfire clay. Any suggestions? Also, if someone goes have a good lowfire clay to suggest, can you also recomend a good clear glaze that is compatable?

Thanks,

Ashlee

Hi Ashlee - while a porcelain is very different in feel from an earthenware body there are many very white choices - I love 105 from Standard Ceramics and also White Earthenware from Highwater Clay. Most commercial clear glazes work great but always test to make sure you aren't getting any crazing. Amaco's LG10 is great, Mayco's 2101 is good too (and a little cheaper!) There are lots of great recipes floating around too - I think yesterday's Ceramic Arts Daily post had a good one from Kari in it.

Deanna

Hey everyone, I'm looking for the whitest lowfire claybody available. I use Laguna's Frost Porcelain and I love the whiteness, but I need a lowfire clay. Any suggestions? Also, if someone goes have a good lowfire clay to suggest, can you also recomend a good clear glaze that is compatable?

Thanks,

Ashlee

I admit I'm a bit biased, but I am a real fan of Flint Hills' Terra Blanc clay. Its a very white, low fire clay body that is NOT TALC BASED. It was developed at Bracker's Good Earth Clays as an alternative to talc-based white earthenware bodies that can feel like toothpaste to throw. This body still 'feels' like porcelain, but tends to behave itself without getting 'gummy'. My pieces fired to a bright white at ^06 oxidation.

As far as glazes, Amaco LG10 and Spectrum 700 gloss clear glazes work quite well, and the matte glazes from those same lines (can't remember the numbers) work well also. I have also seen pieces fired in Duncan's dipping clear with great success.

Archived