Whoops! Forgot To Turn On My Kiln Vent.

Turned the kiln on a few hours ago and then suddenly realized I didn't start the vent. When I ran down to turn on the vent, the kiln was around 550 degrees Fahrenheit. Do you think it will have any noticeable affect on my firing, or am I just obsessing needlessly?

• 5 years later...

I wasn't sure if I should restart a thread with my similar question, or just enter into this one.

I also forgot to turn on my vent, but unfortunately didn't remember till the temp was higher, about 850 degrees.  It's a load of cone 6   Standard porcelain 551, which by the way I like a lot.

I'll be able to open it tonight, but will I be able to tell then if there's a problem, or will it show up later in the glaze firing?  Or should I be ok?  What happens if you (shudder!), never remember to the vent on?

Irene

hoping the Kiln Gods are in a good mood.  I did sacrifice a pot to them yesterday on the wheel....

• 3 months later...

I just forgot to turn on my vent switch also  and did not realize until I woke up this morning, when the glaze fire was finished and at 1400 degrees. I turned on the vent and removed the top peep hole plug for a minute then replaced it. What do yo think the effect will be? My kiln is in my basement, I dont smell anything. 

My big concern is that I put in for the first time glazed greenware as an experiment after reading lots of pros and cons about it, including concern about the gasses. I put them on the top shelf , which was suggested by someone. I don't know way because the vent is from the bottom. I had other pieces in the kiln also (some of which are not my own!) I am afraid I have made the grossest error. It was a low fire glaze, no red glazes. 

Archived