Clay Additive Question

I have extracted natural clay from the ground near my house in NC. The clay is pretty sandy. I refined and dried it and bisque fired a pinch pot. The result was a bright orange pot which was solid but felt a bit chalky. I figured, what the heck, protected my kiln shelf and fired it to cone 6 with clear glaze. The result was a brownish pot which felt rough textured and very light. I assumed success, but discovered quickly that the pot was fragile and broke easily. Any ideas? Is there something I can add to the clay to make it more plastic and sturdy?

I have dug clay from the riverbank behind my house. There used to be a brick factory up river, and that is pretty much exactly what i got when I fired it. I have added some cone 6 recycled clay scraps with better results in terms of plasticity, but I have not done much with it. I plan to pit fire some pots with it soon. The first ones warped a bit, but I think they will be better with the other clay added-it was mostly laguna 80, some 75 that I added.

Kathi ... I don't know where you live in North Carolina but there is a potter in the triangle potters guild who works 100% with his own locally dug clays. If you contact someone there they might know his name ... I cannot remember, sorry. I think there are many potters in the state who work with local clays so try Googling with state specific terms and you might come up with something.

Guest alabamapotter

I have extracted natural clay from the ground near my house in NC. The clay is pretty sandy. I refined and dried it and bisque fired a pinch pot. The result was a bright orange pot which was solid but felt a bit chalky. I figured, what the heck, protected my kiln shelf and fired it to cone 6 with clear glaze. The result was a brownish pot which felt rough textured and very light. I assumed success, but discovered quickly that the pot was fragile and broke easily. Any ideas? Is there something I can add to the clay to make it more plastic and sturdy?

Guest alabamapotter

Hey,

It sounds as if you have found some dirt with some clay properties.

Look for another source of clay, either on the bluff side of any river where you can see the different

stratified layers of dirt, sand, gravel, and clay. Or just add some scrap clay to the stuff in your yard and

make hand built unglazed flower pots. Maybe a 50/50 mix.

You might even try digging deeper and see what's there. The clay you're looking for should be

pure enough where you won't need to refine it for hand building.

Good luck,

alabama potter

Archived