4 replies to this topic

#1 Zygote

Zygote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:54 AM

24 hours into this weekend's bisque firing I knew something was up. This usually takes only 12 hours tops, but I still hadn't hit cone 04 yet.
Thinking I might had blown and element, I checked... looking through the spy-holes, I could see a representative section from each bank of the elements glowing.
Quizzed, I turned off the kiln, but the bottom bank went right on going even though the switch was turned to the off position.
Run Away Kiln
While I wait for the kiln to cool I'm wondering if anyone who has had this problem before can zero me in on the problem?

#2 Zygote

Zygote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

So far the word is that it's a stuck relay, replacing the "infinity switch" should make the fix. Quick and easy eh?

#3 Kathy Fields

Kathy Fields

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMojave Desert

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Really good questions. I'd appreciate knowing the details of your kiln: brand, size, special add-ons, age, etc.

I also fire electric, but both bisque and glaze (^5 & 6). This has never happened to me but the information from your experience will be a good body of information.
Kathy

#4 Zygote

Zygote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

My current studio kiln is an old Paragon . It's a 240 single phase DK 1029-2 rated to cone 8, but it'd be hard pressed to get to cone 8 now a days.
There aren't any special bells and whistles on this beast. No computer controller or kiln vents, just a kiln sitter and 3 knobs, each controlling a separate bank of elements.
I fire this old work horse 3 or 4 times a month to bisque and cone 6. Other than replacing a few rouge elements and the kiln sitter, it's been a very dependable kiln.

#5 Pass Thru Fire

Pass Thru Fire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

I have a similar problem with miy old kiln. It sticks on and the cone in the shut off switch melts but doesn't bend locking in the on position for hours until I turn it off. It's ruined a couple of lowfire glaze projects by melting the glazes.Any insight as to how to get the cones to work correctly all the time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users